Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: convinced i have brain tumour, doc wont test  (Read 1342 times)

Offline mrdave92

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
convinced i have brain tumour, doc wont test
« on: January 24, 2014, 03:50:51 PM »
I haven't felt right for over 2 months now and haven't been able to pick myself up no matter what i do.

Over this period of time i have suffered from a whole range of symptoms ranging from aches and pains, muscle twitches, tingling everywhere, strange adrenaline surges, sleep jerks, loud gurgling stomach, eye pain etc. to extreme dizziness which was, until recently, my most prominent symptom. I never suffer from headaches but over the past 3 weeks i have suffered from terrible pains all around my head and neck, the pains come and go but seem to be increasing in severity and frequency as days go on. The dizziness is awful and now relief isn't even brought about from sitting down. I get random hot flushes all the time and they make me feel very nauseous and faint.

Since becoming ill i have seen 8 different doctors, all of whom have said that my troubles are related to anxiety. The doctors have performed neurological tests & checked my optic nerve before telling me they aren't concerned about brain tumors and that an MRI/CT Scan isn't necessary. I don't see how they can be so sure it's unnecessary when i feel as ill and off colour as i do with worsening symptoms. I get random surges of adrenaline (at least that's what i think it is) all the time and they're horrible, it's hard to explain what they feel like. My dizziness was so bad last night that i felt like passing out and had to sit down on several occasions.

I have recently started Fluoxetine for my anxiety (5 days ago) and have found that since starting my headaches and dizziness have gotten a lot worse. The lines have now been blurred between what is a side effect and what was an original symptom. My head aches a majority of the time in various places and i get such sharp pains down the back of my neck and even in my ears. When i lie down i feel like the room's spinning and if i quickly change where i'm looking the adrenaline surges are terrible.

I don't see how the doctors can be so sure without sending me for a thorough scan. I have told them of my concerns relating to a brain tumour and how deep down i have known for a long time something within me really isn't right. I've been ill before and had anxiety in the past but this is different, my symptoms are so severe and constant 24/7. They're not getting better either, just worse. I never get headaches and the strange sensations i get in my head along with the adrenaline surges cannot be explained. I've read so many articles online relating to brain tumors and stories of people who were misdiagnosed with anxiety time and time again and i just know at the minute that i'm a time bomb.

The doctors seem to just be waiting for me to have a seizure or have something incredibly serious happen before they scan me and it mightn't be far away with the rate at which my symptoms are worsening. Really frightened at the minute. It's my symptoms that cause me such anxiety, how can people tell me not to be anxious when i have stabbing head pains and extreme dizziness. I feel like i'm going crazy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: convinced i have brain tumour, doc wont test
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »
Your symptoms still can very well be caused by anxiety. I am not saying that they are, but you were not examined by 1-2 doctors but 8 and they all said it's anxiety. It's probably time for you to start trusting doctors more...
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 04:08:28 PM »
Fluoxetine and many other medications cause those sort of side effects when you start them, and they usually subside in a week or two. It can also cause your anxiety to increase before it starts getting better.

Have you ever considered that they don't think you need a scan because they've been to medical school and are trained professionals and know that you truly don't need one? You can't properly see that anxiety is causing your symptoms because your anxiety clouds your judgement, and you let your fear take the reigns. All of the symptoms you've described are very, very common anxiety symptoms.

Since becoming ill i have seen 8 different doctors, all of whom have said that my troubles are related to anxiety.

8 doctors. 8 different doctors. All telling you that it's your anxiety. Think about how much combined medical experience that is.

Let's say you continue doctor shopping, which is a sign of health anxiety in itself, and one finally says, "Okay, we'll give you an MRI." Do you think it ends there? Once you get an "all clear," will you really stop being afraid? I know tons of people who have come to this website with the same fear, finally gotten their MRI and were told nothing was wrong, and were still completely unconvinced and just moved on to something else. Maybe the MRI missed it. Maybe it's not a tumor, maybe it's a neurological disorder. Oh, I don't have a tumor, but now I think I have this. No, now I need a different test because I googled online and this said this and that.

Why does this happen? Because they're not properly recognizing their anxiety and treating the real problem. The medication is a good first step. Keep at it.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 04:25:10 PM »
i never EVER get headaches and this is just getting worse and much more frequent. I've read about people diagnosed with brain tumours who had much milder symptoms than me before they were sent for scans. I get aches and pains everywhere even my fingers and toes but the headaches and dizziness are so intense at the minute.

I initially stated on Citalopram but had a really bad reaction to it, vomiting, no appetite at all, prickling sensations, burning head etc. so changed to prozac. I feel worse at the minute as i said, the headaches have gotten worse and my dizziness is terrible i constantly feel like the rooms tilting. The random adrenaline surges are much more frequent too and my perceptions of depth seem to be really off, when i move around in bed i get horrible sinking feelings in my stomach it's hard to explain. I've read so many stories about misdiagnosis and when my symptoms are getting so bad it's hard not to think the worst.

I genuinely don't think i would move to another thing if i got a scan. An MRI would rule out my 2 biggest fears brain tumour and MS, my symptoms don't relate to anything else. As i type this i have a splitting headache above my eye, this has gone on for 2 weeks now, i can't understand the doctors decision.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 04:42:50 PM »
Your symptoms have nothing to do with MS (one of your fears).

And even though you think that MRI would solve all your problems it wouldn't at all. There are a lot of diseases, you will think smth else to be afraid of.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 04:50:38 PM »
worsening headaches, severe dizziness and strange sensations in my head should be enough reason for me to get a scan surely. Is a neurological exam and optic nerve test really that conclusive? I haven't felt right for over 2 months now and as a fit, gym going, usually healthy 21 year old man that is not normal. Something inside is telling me that there's something more serious going on. The anxiety and stress comes as a result of my symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline pellis76

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 04:57:28 PM »
I know how you are feeling. For the past week I have the fear of a brain tumor. I have been in a fog and have had this annoying whooshing sound in my left ear. I just try and stay positive. Anxiety will make you crazy. But try to stay calm.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 05:00:16 PM »
i just know that things are getting worse and nothing has been done. People say they know when they have something like this wrong with them and i've had a horrible feeling for a very long time. The feelings and pains i experience aren't normal at all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 05:03:06 PM »
The anxiety and stress aren't a result of your symptoms. They are causing them. All of the symptoms you describe fit the bill. In fact, they fit it much better than a brain tumor. Yes, some people "know" they have something wrong with them sometimes, but a lot of people also think there is something wrong when there isn't. I cannot tell you how many times I have just "known" I had something. How many times have I been right? None. Did it go away when I dealt with the anxiety? Yes.

Had you never seen a doctor about this, I would suggest you see a doctor. Had you seen a doctor about this, I would maybe suggest getting a second opinion. But you have been to 8 different doctors. All of them said it is anxiety. It is anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 05:07:51 PM »
maybe the anxiety and stress caused the symptoms initially but now the anxiety and stress is caused by the symptoms and the fear that i have something really wrong with me. I never get headaches and on several occasions i've felt like passing out, right now my top lip is tingling along with the stabbing pains in my head. i've had anxiety before and it has never EVER caused this many symptoms. The hot flashes are awful and the dizziness feels like i'm constantly on a boat plus it's gotten so much worse since starting the meds.

There are endless articles and stories out there about people being repeatedly misdiagnosed with anxiety/stress when they had brain tumours.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »
There are endless articles and stories out there about people being repeatedly misdiagnosed with anxiety/stress when they had brain tumours.
And how many more times are the doctors right? Where are all of the articles on that? If doctors were all so terrible at their jobs, they wouldn't have jobs. There wouldn't be a point in going to the doctor because they'd never get it right.

And also, how many more times are there out there where people THOUGHT they had a brain tumor and didn't have one? How many times have you read about that happening here alone? It happens way more often than people being diagnosed with actual brain tumors. 

You say you've seen endless articles about misdiagnosis, what about the alternatives? There are way more instances where the doctors are right, and most don't get sensational news articles written about them online.

You are already on a forum for hypochondriacs. Some part of you knows that it's anxiety. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »
i am told it's anxiety hence me being here seeking advice on whether anyone's been through anything similar but my symptoms arose from nowhere and they're 24/7. As i type this my eye is twitching, my foot is hurting, my head is agony, my chin is tingling and the room is spinning. It's awful. With my worsening symptoms it seems irresponsible of them not to order further testing. An eye exam and neurological tests aren't conclusive enough to rule out anything serious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Taurus4

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »
If you're seeking someone who has been through the same thing as you, I have been. I did get an MRI after seeing my doctor 5 times and after an episode I had one night where the pains in my head were so terrible I thought I was having an aneurysm. The MRI came back completely clean and the symptoms subsided. It didn't take my anxiety away, though. Eventually, I did end up moving on to another illness and that cycle will continue until you treat your anxiety, not looking for an illness that isn't there. I feel for you because I've been in your position and I know it is hard to think anything other than the worst when your anxiety takes over. I need to start taking this advice again myself, as I am starting to let those demons creep back into my head. Please believe your 8 doctors and don't push for an MRI that isn't necessary. It's treating your anxiety that should be your number 1 priority.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrdave92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 06:15:28 PM »
i understand that but my symptoms are getting to be so severe that i can't ignore them and the cause of my anxiety is the symptoms themselves. I'm getting so dizzy, my adrenaline jolts are becoming more frequent. I feel very faint like i'm going to pass out and i have a headache 24/7 that is getting worse. I never get headaches and i know the pains are real, i have felt ill for months and i've read about brain tumour sufferers who had my symptoms down to a tee. I just know if my symptoms worsen much more i'll be in serious trouble. I've had a facial and neck rash and the hot flushes are awful and come on so randomly. My whole body feels like it's trembling and everywhere is twitching/tingling. My chin feels numb as we speak. I'm just waiting to have a seizure at the minute or lose control of a limb, it seems like that's all that's left to happen
Bookmark and Share

Offline LynnBee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 06:21:13 PM »
Sometimes your anxiety will "make up" or "focus" on symptoms to distract you from other things. I went from no headaches ever to chronic headaches for a month straight or so after I started having problems with cervical dysplasia. It's funny - rather than focus on the actual health problem that I have, I worry about these headaches and think maybe it's a brain tumor. Rather than worry about my actual money/financial problems, I get myself worked up over random heart palpitations.

I guess my point is we HA people are really, REALLY good at focusing on either the wrong thing, or things that aren't really there. Work with a professional about your anxiety...try and focus on if you have real life (and when I say real life I don't mean things you've been Googling and are convinced you have!) issues or problems your mind might be putting on the back burner to focus on "other" symptoms.

With all that said: I had a brain tumor scare when my chronic headaches/pain/etc stuff came about. The general consensus as I understand it is MOST people with brain tumors do not only have headaches. I'm sure you read articles where it was "missed," but the majority of people who have brain tumors present with symptoms other than headaches...seizures. Changes in mental status. Loss of consciousness. Our brains are highly sensitive organs...if there's something growing in there that shouldn't be you would know about it. I had a friend who was diagnosed with a benign tumor when we were younger, she had it removed just fine...but it wasn't just headaches. It was headaches + debilitating nausea + vomiting + vertigo on a regular, daily basis...not just "headaches and random aches and pains." And regardless, she had it removed almost a decade ago with no problems...you'd never know it now to see her.

"ranging from aches and pains, muscle twitches, tingling everywhere, strange adrenaline surges, sleep jerks, loud gurgling stomach, eye pain etc." <---- I get all of these on a regular basis when my anxiety is acting up. Hell, I get some of these on a regular basis even when my anxiety is low. I get adrenaline jolts really, really bad when my anxiety is bad. I know what you're describing...that moment when you're about to fall asleep and for some reason you get a jolt of adrenaline and you sit up straight in bed as though something is about to kill you...yeah. I have gone 24+ hours without sleep because of those things at the worst. The problem is it's a cycle...the more you have them, the more you are afraid to have them, so you get revved up, and the more likely you are to have them again trying to sleep.

My mom gets them too. She's been getting adrenaline jolts off and on for about 30 years. They suck, but they don't mean you have a brain tumor.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: