Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Questions about my journey with Sertraline (zoloft)?  (Read 186 times)

Offline edosmonsterink

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Questions about my journey with Sertraline (zoloft)?
« on: January 24, 2014, 03:12:30 PM »
Hey everyone. I am on my 19th day of 50mg Sertraline and my 27th day total with being 25mg for the first 7days. The last two days I have been feeling pretty good throughout the day with Lil to no panic attacks. I thought.... Yes  finally  Sertraline is kicking in  ;D.  But this morning I woke up feeling horrible. Shaking again and couldn't go back to sleep. My mind was all over the place again and I was having major anxiety. I felt like my arms and legs were cold and shaking and I was feeling depersonalization and my arms felt weird when I moved them. I feel like Sertraline doesn't work and I'm back to square one and losing this battle :(. Am I rushing this and just making myself panic more expecting results so soon?  Is 19 days still early in the game? Also I have Xanax 0.5mg and Clonazepam 0.5mg but only have taken the Xanax once and the Clonazepam once in the last month and was about 5 days ago.  Could I be having a withdrawal from it  today?

I was also given Kavinace by a family friend who is a nurse and said to take it twice a day.  Does anyone need know about this? Is supposed to help with three powerful ingredients that may alleviate the symptoms of irritability, stress, trouble sleeping, and anxiety: the result is Kavinace. This supplement may be effective due to Phenibut (4-amino-3-phenylbutyric acid), a GABA derivative. Phenibut can reduce phenylethylamine activity. Phenylethylamine is an excitatory neurotransmitter, so inhibiting it can have calming effects. Those with aggressive tendencies may benefit from Kavinace’s calming abilities, and it may also support heart health... I hear nothing but great things about it for sleeping but nothing in the GABA part.  :question:

So am I doing alright and is it normal to still feel like this on day 19 of Sertraline 50mg.... I'm trying to keep it together.  Thanks and sry about all the questions.

Eddie
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kaze~chan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Questions about my journey with Sertraline (zoloft)?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
I was on Zoloft for a good month and didn't see much improvement at 50 mgs; they had to bump me up a whole 100 mgs in order for me to calm down and get myself back together. They may just have to up the dosage. I'd talk to your doctor about it, since it really is awful to deal with the panic attacks, especially at night.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 06:37:27 PM »
Am I rushing this and just making myself panic more expecting results so soon?  Is 19 days still early in the game?

Yes, it is Eddie. Antidepressants usually take 3-12 weeks to kick in. They work by encouraging the growth of new brain cells which takes time.

Also I have Xanax 0.5mg and Clonazepam 0.5mg but only have taken the Xanax once and the Clonazepam once in the last month and was about 5 days ago.  Could I be having a withdrawal from it  today?

You won't have become dependent after only two doses. You'd need to take benzodiazepines for a month or more before dependence might become an issue.

I hear nothing but great things about it for sleeping but nothing in the GABA part

Possibly because it is mostly snake oil. Firstly, no reasonably well functioning brain lacks GABA. It is a by-product of the process that fuels the brain and is so abundant that the blood-brain-barrier has billions of tiny pumps to remove the excess. What you do lack is benzodiazepine-GABA complex binding sites (receptors) and the ones you do have are less sensitive than normal 1. Trying to overcome this deficiency with more GABA is akin to 'fixing' faulty sparkplugs by overfilling the gas tank. Benzodiazepines work because they increase the efficiency of the GABA receptors that still exist.

Secondly, anti seizure meds that are GABA analogs such a gabapentin (Neurontin) and pregabalin (Lyrica) do not significantly increase brain GABA levels, but target the glutamate system. Which probably explains why they are mostly not great anti anxiety meds, though a few are helped by them.

Ian

References:

[1]
Hasler G, Nugent AC, Carlson PJ, et al. (2008)
Altered cerebral gamma-aminobutyric acid type A-benzodiazepine receptor binding in panic disorder determined by [11C]flumazenil positron emission tomography.
Arch Gen Psychiatry. Oct;65(10):1166-75 (Abstract)

Geuze E, van Berckel BN, Lammertsma AA, et al. (2007)
Reduced GABAA benzodiazepine receptor binding in veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder.
Mol Psychiatry. 2008 Jan;13(1):74-83 (Abstract)

Cameron OG, Huang GC, Nichols T, et al. (2007)
Reduced gamma-aminobutyric acid(A)-benzodiazepine binding sites in insular cortex of individuals with panic disorder.
Arch Gen Psychiatry. Jul;64(7):793-800. (Abstract)

Bremner JD, Innis RB, Southwick SM, et al. (2000)
"Decreased benzodiazepine receptor binding in prefrontal cortex in combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder."
Am J Psychiatry Jul; vol 157(7):1120-6 (Abstract)

Bremner JD, Innis RB, White T, et al (2000)
"SPECT [I-123]iomazenil measurement of the benzodiazepine receptor in panic disorder."
Biol Psychiatry  Jan 15; vol 47(2):96-106 (Abstract)

Malizia AL.  (1999)
"What do brain imaging studies tell us about anxiety disorders? "
J Psychopharmacol Dec; vol 13(4):372-8 (Abstract)

Morimoto K. 1999
Benzodiazepine receptor imaging in the brain: recent developments and clinical validity
Kaku Igaku. May;36(4):307-13. (Abstract)

Malizia AL, Cunningham VJ, Bell CJ, et al. (1998)
"Decreased brain GABA(A)-benzodiazepine receptor binding in panic disorder: preliminary results from a quantitative PET study."
Arch Gen Psychiatry Aug; vol 55(8):715-20 (Abstract)

Tokunaga M, Ida I, Higuchi T, Mikuni M. (1997)
"Alterations of benzodiazepine receptor binding potential in anxiety and somatoform disorders measured by 123I-iomazenil SPECT."
Radiat Med May-Jun; vol 15(3):163-9 (Abstract)

Uchiyama M, Sue H, Fukumitsu N, et al. (1997)
"Assessment of cerebral benzodiazepine receptor distribution in anxiety disorders by 123I-iomazenil-SPECT: comparison to cerebral perfusion scintigraphy by 123I-IMP."
Nippon Igaku Hoshasen Gakkai Zasshi Jan; vol 57(1):41-6 (Abstract)

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
Be patient. I started Sertraline at basically the same time as you, and I am noticing major improvements. You may just need another week or two or maybe an increase in dosage. We are both on the minimum dose and I know that I may eventually have to bump it up, and I'm okay with that.

We all have bad days. Try not to let them get you down!
Bookmark and Share