Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Female Question - Women over 40 please help!  (Read 378 times)

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Female Question - Women over 40 please help!
« on: January 24, 2014, 01:26:34 PM »
I'm 49 and still have the occasional period, but I can tell I'm in perimenopause because cycles are often 45-65 days apart.  Right now my breasts are tender, and I'm emotional, so a cycle (with or without actual bleeding) may be near.  For the past 3 weeks, I've noticed a slight discomfort after urinating.  There's no blood, and no fever.  I'm not taking any meds for this bc its really not bad enough to warrant a doctor visit (which I hate), and I think iI may have been having a concurrent, mild disruption in my pH (although not truly a yeast infection -- no thick discharge, no itching), just slight sting after urination, and some redness and tenderness  around the vaginal vestibule.  I did two nights of coconut oil suppositories and the redness near the vagina has improved, but still have some sting right after peeing.  Has anyone else had a bout with this?  Could it be hormonal changes or menopause a related thinning of the tissue?  BTW, the slight burn or sting is felt at the end of the urethra, not the bladder or vagina.   I'm at a loss...please help, I'm ruining a day off from work.  Thanks
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Female Question - Women over 40 please help!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 02:20:42 PM »
No one?  This is really botherting me.
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 209
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:46:03 PM »
I've not experienced this but my suggestion would be trying to double up on the water you are consuming.  Dehydration can cause a bit of a burn when urinating.  I have no idea what would cause the redness/tenderness that you are having; have you been sexually active lately? 

Try not to let this ruin your day off work.  Maybe go to your doctor and just have them do a quick urine dip test to rule out a UTI before you let your mind go wandering. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
Thanks for replying.  I've noticed improvement with water consumption, so that may be it.  Not sexually active.  Appreciate your advice :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 03:57:14 PM »
I had something very similar happen to me when I was around 49 as well. My bladder became irritated - I thought I had a UTI but the test came back negative. I felt as though I was peeing more frequently, my bladder stung, I had vaginal irritation, I was pretty miserable. I ended up at my gynecologist who put me on vaginal estrogen cream (Premarin, but I recommend Estrace) and the whole thing cleared up in a couple weeks. I too had urethral irritation, and the cream cleared that up as well. The doctor told me I had the beginning of vaginal atrophy brought on by perimenopause (I was not in full menopause yet). After a couple months of the cream I stopped using it and was fine for quite awhile. Occasionally I go back to it (I'm 52 now) when the symptoms start up again. For me it was the decline in estrogen that set the whole thing in motion. Best of luck to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 07:47:31 PM »
2jrts:  that makes a lot of sense.  I'm due to see my doc in March, and will mention this.  In the meantime, I'm trying Azo Urinary Pain Relief tabs.  Thanks for the reply!  Hugs
Bookmark and Share

Online Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 08:15:28 AM »
This is a symptom of menopause. The vagina atrophys and hardens. The skin thins very badly.  The little opening to the urethra  stretches to allow you to urinate and the acidic urine stings it.

To add to the list below, your nipples will being to lose color and not evenly.  It starts with the aerola.  Your vaginal lips will change in shape.  Most women notice one is longer than the other.  The clitoris hardens and pulls into the body.  Bladder infections increase in sexually active post menopausal women.  The list goes on and on. 

Disturbing memory lapses or loss
Irregular heart beat (see palpitations)
Irritability
Mood swings, sudden emotional shifts
Insomnia or similar trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
Irregular menstrual periods
Loss of libido in varying degrees
Vaginal Dryness
Crashing and often sudden fatigue
Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom
Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, ringing, buzzing etc.
Hot flashes and/or night sweats or cold flashes, often associated with a clammy feeling
Incontinence
Itchy, dry, and/or crawly skin
Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons
Increased tension in muscles
Breast tenderness
Headache change: increase or decrease
Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea
Sudden cases of bloat
Depression
Exacerbation of existing conditions
Increase in allergies
Weight gain or weight loss
Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
Changes in body odor
Electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head
Tingling in the extremities
Gum problems, increased bleeding
Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor
Osteoporosis (often after several years)
Changes in fingernails (density, softness, cracking, etc.)
Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 08:56:39 AM »
Thanks "IHadCancer", guess I better buckle down.  Funny thing, I've already had a few things on the list.  I just hope that when menopause passes, I'll have some peace!  Hope ur well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 12:36:14 PM »
Although I didn't have burning, I had/have a "split urine stream".   I had gone to the doctor due to my urine looking bubbly in the toilet and fearing some kind of kidney disease (didn't have one!) she looked at my urethra and said that she can tell it's a split urine stream and that is caused from the drying out and thinning of the urethra with menopause.  (plus I'd get itchy as all get out after urinating!  I felt like I was going nuts!)   So YOU may just be presenting with burning.
Bookmark and Share