Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Long-term stress can lead to anxiety disorder  (Read 491 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Long-term stress can lead to anxiety disorder
« on: January 24, 2014, 01:00:34 AM »
So, in my ongoing quest to learn all I can about anxiety, I came across some info tonight that I think makes perfect sense, especially in my case. Sorry, this is not a perfect quote (wish I would have cited the article), but it said when a person suffers from on-going stress that is not managed or dealt with well, it can lead to an anxiety disorder. According to this article, long-term stress can rewire the brain, leaving the person more vulnerable to anxiety and depression. It says, anxiety disorders all require intensive long-term treatment to overcome negative effects and reduce their symptoms.

At the time my anxiety became chronic or a disorder, I had gone through an extreme amount of stress that I always felt forever changed me. I suppose in a way it must have--according to this article. Perhaps my brain has been re-wired. Now the question is..how do I get back to normal? Can I re-set my brain to it's prior level of calmness? Do I need to go back to therapy, and or medication?

Help! If anyone has any thoughts, please reply...thank you :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chilly

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Long-term stress can lead to anxiety disorder
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:22:25 AM »
I would have to say that this fits my situation as well. I had an extremely stressful 2013, and by October...BAM!! Depression, intrusive thoughts and obsessions, DP/DR.  :spineyes:

Do you have a link to the article? or did it get lost in the flood of info (don't worry if it did, I've done the same!).
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:39:13 AM »
Hi Chilly, it came from a website, I just tried to pull it up again, but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what I typed in the search bar for it to come up. I'm going to keep trying, and if I find it I'll post the page's address here.

It really does make sense, that ongoing stress could lead to anxiety; I always knew that is what happened with me. And if it has rewired my brain--no wonder it's darn near impossible to feel 100% my old self! But, I'm hopeful, that I can get back to myself again! I haven't given up yet! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chilly

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 01:46:42 AM »
I'm in the same boat! I've been through enough literature that I'm sure I could write a book at this point. Too bad all the info can only go so far. Just like anything else, knowing is only half the battle. Now we have to work at it. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline robicinco

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 01:27:45 PM »
There is evidence that years of meditation can re-wire your brain for the better, so it is quite possible that the opposite can probably happen from stress.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
To the last post, that is actually one thing I have never tried...but, I have always wanted to learn how to meditate. It seems meditating would help calm the mind, I need to try it :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 02:54:05 PM »
Makes sense to me....I had one life change piled on top of another, then a chronic wrist injury that took ten months to heal, and still occasionally gives me troubles, yeah I can see how things were brewing.

I think there's hope for you! I agree with meditation. Mindfullness, focusing on the present moment, has been something that's been very beneficial to me as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 05:01:30 PM »
Melody, I also had a physical injury which totally amplified my anxiety. I injured my hip (muscular) around 2007-2008; the pain was unbearable at times. I did physical therapy, but still had pain after a year. My doctor did an x-ray and saw two 2 mm. bone chips in my hip joint.

I'm guessing physical pain is also a form of stress too, because my anxiety hit the roof around that time.

I need help :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline bubbles18

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 09:27:39 PM »
I am sure this is what happened to me.  Years of stress....tons of stress.....my not dealing with things, brush it off my shoulders and keeping it moving as though that was helping, years of anger towards a person that was in my life, until that one day about two years ago when a huge argument before leaving on a family weeken trip made me have a full blown panic attack while driving on the highway have way to our destination.  It was horrible, terrifying, scary and the worse experience of my life. I got several symptoms all at one time I literally thought I was about to die right on the highway with my family in the car.  Needless to say several Dr. visits and ER visits later, and therapist I was diagnosed with anxiety/panic disorder because after that incident I was having several panic anxiety attacks throughout the day and night.  I had so so many symptoms and it affected my work as well had to go on FMLA for a little and meds.  Well I finally started feeling somewhat normal and was on meds for a while, then took myself off and was doing great on my own and with the things I learned for about a year until about Novemeber and here I am again on meds because of tons of stressors I was dealing with and still am that hit all at once. So yeah its definitely a rollercoaster. I want and hope to one day be able to be off meds for life but who knows.  Hate being dependent on them but right now I need it to get through this rocky period and a few upcoming big events.  I am trying to work on me and being positive thats all you can do.  Hang in there and know you are not alone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 10:36:20 PM »
Hi Bubbles, I had one major thing after another happen for a few years, often asking myself how much can a person take before they just can't take anymore. I also dealt with anger toward someone in my life--experiencing what some would probably call emotional abuse, and unable to express myself because he would literally fly off the handle---I was tired of my things being demolished so I stopped voicing my opinion which only escalated my anger, which didn't do much good for my anxiety. That among many other stresses, losses, just a lot in a short period of time.

But, on a positive note, I think I held up pretty well considering...I still have quite a bit of fight left in me :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 10:45:42 PM »
Oh---something funny I saw on *****, 'God only gives us what he thinks we can handle, apparently God thinks I'm a badass'.
Yep, that pretty much sums it up :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: