Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Uugh, what to do about a flu shot!  (Read 187 times)

Offline Chantelle

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Uugh, what to do about a flu shot!
« on: January 23, 2014, 10:26:12 PM »
Guys, I really don't know what to do. I have been sitting on the fence over getting the flu jab for weeks now. I keep reading scary side effects that people have experienced from the shot that prevent me from wanting to get it. In the same breath though, I have been holed up in my home for far too long because I am afraid to go anywhere. I am tired of living in fear and being afraid that I will catch H1N1 by going out. I'm also really worried about my 1 year old son catching it as I have heard that it can be quite serious in children. On top of it all, I am sleep deprived and have had lung issues for some time...All these reasons make me feel that I should get the shot. I guess I'm just really scared to actually take that step and get it!

Any thoughts? I honestly don't know what to do. H1N1 has been quite conservative in my area so it's not like I'm in a high risk zone. Regardless I'm still scared of catching it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline camel

• Rec's: 83
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
Re: Uugh, what to do about a flu shot!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 11:07:10 PM »
I think you should talk to your doctor about your fears regarding the shot. I did not get one. Not for any reason but that I have not bothered lol. My girlfriend and our 18 month old got one. They did not have any side effects. I am not sure they will do it on a one year old though; I heard they only do them from 18 months in Canada and maybe 2 years in the US.

H1N1 is not the big deal it was when it first broke out. I know someone whose just under 2 year old had it and she recovered really well. They can be put on Tamiflu which helps the symptoms. You just need to monitor them.

So maybe chat to your doctor about your concerns and see if the two of you can reach a decision together :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 12:09:07 AM »
I've never had a bad reaction to a flu shot nor has anyone that I've personally ever known to get them. There are far more people who get it and have no side effects than the ones who do, and it will protect you from H1N1. I think there's a higher likelihood that you would catch the flu than have a bad reaction to the vaccine. With that being said, though, it's of course up to your decision. There is a risk of side effects, but it's likely minimal. Everything has side effects. If you do choose to not get the vaccine, know that I got H1N1 when it was a pandemic a few years ago and the death rate from it was higher, and I made it through, even with a cruddy immune system. For every person that gets the flu and is hospitalized/passes away, there are thousands upon thousands more people who recover just fine, but you won't hear about them in the news.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Kindra11

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 12:18:44 AM »
I live in Alberta where H1N1 seems to be out of control! Me and my hubby and 2 kids all got vaccinated and we had absolutely no side effects besides our arm was a little sore for a couple days. If you live in a high risk area I would strongly recommend getting the shot but if your nervous definitely talk to your dr about your concerns and make the decision when you are comfortable :)
Bookmark and Share
Broken, But Not Destroyed

Offline Radiant_Nebula

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:29:02 PM »
I've been having the exact same issue! I've been hiding out in my apartment just waiting for flu season to be over and it's exhausting. Every time I am forced to go in public I think 'oh gosh, someone is going to cough on me and I'll get the flu!' Yet I still don't trust flu shots... Keep me updated on your decision because I have been back and forth on this issue so much also.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 07:19:28 PM »
I am 55 and have been getting a flu shot since I was 10 - never had a flu, never had a reaction except maybe a sore arm for the rest of the day. Most times that never happens either.  My dad has been getting flu shots even before I had been getting them - he too has never had the flu and never had a reaction.    Don't get the live virus one though (the nose mist one), I'd be afraid of that one.  And don't get it if you aren't feeling well because then your immune system can't be fighting TWO things.  But feeling well and getting the shot?  I'd say go for it.   They'll even give one to your son if you wanted him vaccinated.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chantelle

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
Such helpful replies, thank you!

I am still undecided and am mostly staying in side for the moment...I won't lie, I feel like a hermit these days! I would love to talk to my doctor about this issue but unfortunately, he tends to shrug me off when he knows I'm anxious about something and is a bit too relaxed at times (he's also the same GP that told my Dad, after an exam, that he was 100% ok and didn't have cancer...two weeks later my Dad found out he had cancer after insisting a second opinion!).

My son is 16 months and I am pretty sure he is allowed to get a flu shot. I was also told that if I nurse him he will get the antibodies from my flu shot which seems like a good way to go.

Radiant_Nebula, I feel your pain! The most I can suggest is to wash your hands lots, stay away from crowded places and try not to touch your face (nose, eyes, mouth) unless you just washed your hands. It's a tough call to make when you have anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: