Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Meds or not?!  (Read 179 times)

Offline MLB2805

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Meds or not?!
« on: January 23, 2014, 09:24:37 PM »
I am so indecisive about taking meds or not. My anxiety I think is between mild to moderate. I can still go places,'work, and drive. I do hate being home
Alone though. I think I'm finally almost convinced
All the physical systems I get are anxiety and not some thing wrong with
Me. I do have bad days though. Where I don't want to get off couch or
Do anything for that matter. I took cymbalta for a
Year and a half and completely forgot I had anxiety. Besides taking the pill everyday. I've quit all caffeine beverages. I don't drink often and I don't smoke. I'm going through
CBT right now. I worry excessively about my husband and kids and anything happening to them or me. My questions is does anyone know what would be a "milder" antidepressant ?
I just need help deciding what to do. Part of me wants to go back on cymbalta because of
The success but when I tried to restart it I had side
Effects ....
Should I stick it
Out on same med? Try something else? I'm scars to
Try something else. Suggestions anyone?
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline camel

• Rec's: 83
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
Re: Meds or not?!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 11:15:18 PM »
Hey, first off good on you for doing things to help with your anxiety like quitting caffeine drinks, not drinking too much and not smoking. Those will go a long way to helping you feel better.

Medication is a very personal choice. I think that if your life is suffering to a point where you find you want to feel better and nothing else is working, then a combination of those other things, CBT and meds could change your life.

For me I was on and off a few meds over the years and they didn't seem to help that much. Neither did therapy or other things I did. But I finally found a doctor who understood and who got me on the right med and the right dosage and it changed my life completely. I was completely housebound for years, not able to leave my neighborhood when I did manage to leave the house. After a few months on the meds and I flew from my country of South Africa to Canada. Two planes and a journey of 20+ hours. I never imagined I would be able to do something like this.

So that is my story on how meds helped me. I think a good, honest discussion with your doctor about meds would be a great idea and you can tell him/her about your concerns etc.

I wish you luck and please let me know what you decide :)
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 12:00:20 AM »
My questions is does anyone know what would be a "milder" antidepressant ?
I just need help deciding what to do. Part of me wants to go back on cymbalta because of
The success but when I tried to restart it I had side
Effects ....

There are no "milder' antidepressants as such. They all work the same way by encouraging the growth of new brain cells which takes a certain amount of drug to initiate and sustain.

If Cymbalta has worked well for you in the past then that would probably be the best choice. Any antidepressant is likely to produce more starting side-effects than you may have experienced the first time. For reasons that aren't well understood these tend to become more severe each time antidepressants are stopped and restarted. You may also need to take a higher dose than before too.

As to whether you should go back onto meds, this is your call. How long have you been doing CBT? Is it making any difference?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline MLB2805

Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 09:38:32 AM »
I've been going to CBT for a
Month now, once a week. I do feel it's helping... But I feel it's still new. The one thin I didn't do when I took the
Meds was do therapy And I wish I had.  I feel like if I go on the meds I know I can feel better
Sooner than later. But the other part of me really wants to work it out with CBT,
Acceptance, and exercise... I think in some ways I've just lost touch with me, who I am, and what I want. I Also feel that on the meds I am carefree as far as diet and everything, where as
Working this on my own I'm making healthier choices... Just wish I could make up my mind!!!!
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 09:54:29 AM »
Why don't you try this then: give yourself a set date in advance.....1 month, 2 months, etc. Tell yourself you are going to really dedicate yourself to your CBT program and really work one taking good care of yourself.  By setting this timeline you can put your full energy into these things and not use it on the "should I or shouldn't I"

I'm currently on medication, Lexapro 10 mg. My psychiatrist and I had briefly discussed increasing the dose after a bad depressive spell earlier this month but I decided to try to stay the course. I am doing other things: not formal CBT, but doing CBT exercises myself, meditation, exercise, etc. And working on some stuff from the Acceptance and Commitment therapy approach.  My plan is to continue my current medication, but really dedicate myself to these life changes which have really been beneficial to me. If I'm still having bad spells of anxiety and/or depressive symptoms after three months has passed, then I will increase my lexapro dose, but not before (Unless my psychiatrist strongly recommends it, because I have a tendency to over-doctor myself and I need to leave myself in her care to some degree). So I feel secure in my plan....I take out the extra "do I don't I" mental chatter for awhile. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline MLB2805

Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 03:27:46 PM »
Ancient melody that's a great idea! I'm gonna give myself a date
, and dedicate myself to improving and if it's not where I wanna be I'm gonna take the meds!
Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: