Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Signet ring cell carcinoma  (Read 303 times)

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Signet ring cell carcinoma
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:03:32 PM »
Someone on this board mentioned this to me and now I am terrified I have this. I had a colonoscopy november 2012 and have an appt for another in february. I  am 23 and a 4 cm polyp was found during my last colonoscopy. I am terrified thwt I will have signet ring cell carcinoma at the next colonoscopy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Signet ring cell carcinoma
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 03:39:38 PM »
Signet Ring Cell is very rare.  Yes, it's bad but again, very rare. Believe me, they tested your 4 cm polyp and it had to be fine or you would have heard back very quickly.  Less than 1% of all CRC's in the world are SRC.

If 149,000 people are dx'd each year with CRC, 1% of that is less than 1,500 out of 360 MILLION people in the U.S.  have SRC.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 04:01:20 PM »
Signet Ring Cell is very rare.  Yes, it's bad but again, very rare. Believe me, they tested your 4 cm polyp and it had to be fine or you would have heard back very quickly.  Less than 1% of all CRC's in the world are SRC.

If 149,000 people are dx'd each year with CRC, 1% of that is less than 1,500 out of 360 MILLION people in the U.S.  have SRC.

Thank you for that. Yes five pathologists looked at my polyp. They had a hard time agreeing on what kind of polyp it was. It was first thought to be an inflammatory or beningn polyp but it was addenomatous. My doctor doesnt think it is genetic because of only finding one polyp and no one else in the family has any syndrome. My grandmother had colon cancer in her seventies. Stage 1. The doctor thinks it was just a freak thing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:46:21 PM »
So I just had to google this to know what it was and then i read it was a type of CC and I started freaking. You know my ordeal right now. However the more I read the more I know you DO NOT have this. Adverse prognosis with treat is 9 months survival rate. You had a clean colon score other than your polyp that was removed and its GONE now!  It's no longer there. I know pre cancerous is scary but to my understanding that also doesn't mean it would 100% become cancer it is must at much higher risk. Are you still having symptoms like bleeding? I now you are totally fine and do not have this. I am pretty sure you have major symptoms being this is a very very agressive form and it only accounts for 0.9% if all CC averaging the age of 59.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 04:55:41 PM »
It's great that you're keeping on top of this.  I was 'too much of a lady' to have a colonoscopy (plus didn't have HA at the time) so it wasn't until I was 58 that they found my ONE polyp that was 2 cm and cancerous.  I kick myself over and over for not getting a screening at 50. My Daddy (age 86 has a few polyps every time he goes and my mother  (82 and had one huge polyp but she had her first test just this year) never have had colon cancer nor has anyone we know of in our family.  Since I've never had another polyp, I'm moving to a colonoscopy ever 3 years

Colon cancer almost always grows very slowly so even if they found another polyp, they should have caught it before it could ever turn cancerous. You do know the adenomatous polyp had a higher chance to become cancer so be vigilant! You may never have another!  I'm 63 and have only had the one polyp!

After your colonoscopy,  look into Aspirin and how it helps prevent colon polyps from forming.  Also, have your Vit. D3 checked and aim for a reading of 75 -100.  Avoid or give up red meat.  All of these help prevent formation of polyps. 

I've known a few online people who had SRC and one was caught early and she's still fine many years later.  My girlfriend (37) went two weeks ago tomorrow to have her gall bladder out and the surgeon nicked her liver, sewed her up and she bled to death. We just never know. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »
Lindsay, the symptoms of SRC are the same as with Colon or Rectal cancer.  It's treated differently but rectal and colon are treated differently.

Like you read, less than 1%........  That means Brick has a 99.1% chance out of 100 that anything they might find is NOT SRC.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Going to the bathroom is terrifying to me. I hate it. I am so scared of turning around and seeing blood. Lindsay, i thought i saw blood once since my colonoscopy but i ca no be positive that is what it was.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 08:01:03 PM »
I dont eat much red meat. I eat chicken mostly, turkey, and wild game.  Not sure of my vitamin d but i am outside a lot so it should be normal.  Of course I have changed my diet a lot over the past year. I am not as much of a health freak but i dont buy microwave meals. Everything is leftovers that have been frozen. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 08:23:07 PM »
What also scares me about me having colon cancer at 26 is my vitamin D level was low at my last check up in march. I know those two go hand in hand. My level was 19 and normal on the sheet was 30.
I have read anything under 20 requires supplementation so I take 3,000ius a day. My other blood work was prefect. I am still terrified i have colon or rectal cancer. Today was a much better day anxiety wise but the thought and fear NEVER leaves my mind, ever. I think about it daily on the hour.
I know you are fine Brick. I know SCH your anxiety is high but like I saidthet removed the problem so it's no longer there.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 09:24:12 PM »
What also scares me about me having colon cancer at 26 is my vitamin D level was low at my last check up in march. I know those two go hand in hand. My level was 19 and normal on the sheet was 30.
I have read anything under 20 requires supplementation so I take 3,000ius a day. My other blood work was prefect. I am still terrified i have colon or rectal cancer. Today was a much better day anxiety wise but the thought and fear NEVER leaves my mind, ever. I think about it daily on the hour.
I know you are fine Brick. I know SCH your anxiety is high but like I saidthet removed the problem so it's no longer there.   

The doc has never said anything about my vitamin d. I have had low potassium in the past. I think about it daily too. I am glad I had the colonoscopy as it saved my life. I should have had cancer. Wo has a 4 cm polyp that is not cancerous. I just worry they will find more and what it means for the rest of my life. I also had a submucosal lipoma. I know those aren't serious. But come one i have the colon of a 60 year old. Ha
Bookmark and Share

Tags: