Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety/depression/feeling weird only during the evenings/after sunset  (Read 835 times)

Offline alex_s

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hey everyone , this is my first post, but I'll skip the introductions and go straight to my question/situation. I'm a 25 y old guy.   :action-smiley-065:

During the day I'm fine. I know a lot of people with anxiety say they are fine during the day because they work and this keeps them busy and distracted. Not me - I manage my own business and don't go to work - I have plenty of days when I have absolutely nothing to do, I just sit around and do nothing. I'm still fine during the day on those days, so it isn't something distracting me during the day, keeping the anxiety at bay.

Then around 5pm-7pm (due to sunset?) hits and all of a sudden I'm a different person - I lie down and cry uncontrollably, have heart palpitations, nausea, on some days extreme anxiety to the point where I start feeling depersonalization and 'out of it' . This lasts for 2-3 hours, after which I'm again - fine. This has been happening like clockwork for MONTHS, and I've tried changing my diet around, napping during the day, working out, anything. Doesn't seem to matter. Even if I have a nap at 4pm, when I wake up it starts.

Now I read about something called 'sundowner syndrome', but this seems to be a syndrome in elderly people with dementia. But my anxiety does seem related to the sunset, as I recall having this much later during the summer/autumn when the sunset was later. This all seems related to brain chemistry/physical in nature also - I can't trace it back to bad self-talk or negative thoughts that occur before the event.

Anyone else experience the same? It's so strange, I've read a ton of posts from people saying how bad their anxiety is in the morning, and very few describing my issue.

Any ideas/similar experiences?  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety/depression/feeling weird only during the evenings/after sunset
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 02:16:32 PM »
Hi, for the past few years I have experienced a dramatic mood change as soon as the daylight savings time ends. I knew it was related to the time change because it happened almost to the day I turned the clock back. For what ever reason I believe it was the days being shorter with less sunlight. My mood changed from pleasant, happy, to foul and irritable, and depressed. I was actually thinking I had SAD, other people in my family get the same way this time of year.

This winter has been especially rough with the miserable weather, where I live...I'm looking forward to Spring so I can go for walks with my baby (Pug), to soak up some sunshine and vitamin D.

Wish You Well! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline tamsankaur

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »
This is how my anxiety started! When I was reading your posts it felt like it was me back in August. All of this started for me in August of this year. Whenever the sun would set, around 5 to 7, I would get really anxious. It would be like this for a couple of hours and then when it was time to go to sleep I would be fine and happy again. But something would happen to me at 5 through 7 that would make me feel really weird. I always looked at the clock waiting for the time to come.

Now, I am not going to say that this is going to stop immediately because it really doesn't, but I can guarantee that it doesn't last very long. You've set yourself a pattern. You know that everyday you are going to be happy in the morning, so you have nothing to stress about. Then as soon as 5-7 roll around the corner you start to worry and become fearful. That fear in turn becomes anxiety and that is what you feel. I tried many different things to get this feeling to go away, but I realized that in all my attempts I was always so worried and stressed about "what if I feel that feeling again today and when is it going to go away?" that I always caused myself to feel the feeling that I hated so much. Therefore, in order for this feeling to go away you have to accept it. You have to accept that when 5 o'clock rolls around the corner you are going to feel a bit anxious, so what? Your heart is going to race? So what? These are all signs of your body working properly. Nothing wrong is happening to you. These symptoms may be uncomfortable, but they are like a throat ache, a symptom. Instead of being fearful that you are going to feel this way just accept that you will feel this way. When you feel like this, try to feel what you feel inside. Try to understand what is happening in your body and then realize that these are just symptoms of anxiety, nothing more and nothing less. Also, I don't want to push you to read this book, but I would highly recommend you do because this was the book that was able to take all the fear out of the 5-7 o'clock thing out of me, and it is titled, "Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Claire Weekes. You can buy this book on Google Playbooks for 5 dollars. Just read the book and you will understand exactly what is happening to you and why and how to deal with it. The first two chapters are free and they are helpful, but as you continue on with the book it gets even more helpful. I always wish that I had read this book when I was in your stage because I would have suffered less. I am going to link the link below. You can read the first two chapter for free.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Hope_and_Help_for_Your_Nerves.html?id=IJH4hyORo8IC
Bookmark and Share

Offline timmy

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 06:42:37 PM »
I was wondering if I was the only one out there.  :happy0151:

I'm 28 and I have the same anxiety during sunset too and it's been going on probably since I was a teenager. It usually starts right before sunset and doesn't go away until it's completely dark. It usually doesn't happen in winter, just when it's warm and sunny. Right now in Tennessee, the weather is starting to get warmer (low 70's temp all day). As soon as the sun started setting, I started feeling very empty, lonely, helpless. It's awful. It's like something primeval is causing it; like I'm supposed to do/feel something during this time of day. I don't get this feeling when I'm in relationship or when I'm around lots of people at that moment. It hasn't made me cry, but it still feels awful.

Anyway, thanks for reading.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MITRush

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 11:08:55 PM »
Take the advice and get that book, it is a lifesaver.  Being a scientist, doctor, and former sufferer of GAD, Claire Weekes has an intuitive feel for GAD that almost nobody else does.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jamespianoo

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 12:12:39 AM »
Alex_s I know exactly how you feel. The daytime keeps the mood up and when it gets dark the bad feelings start again. Could be related to winter? Long nights and the cold can make one feel very down especially if you live in a northern climate. I think you have a habitual thing as well, like you are dreading the idea of the daytime being over because you have associated it with negative sensations. I feel this way when entering my apartment sometimes.

Exercise man. You're 25, get fit. It will make the world of difference. I'm 24, I found cardio to be very helpful. If I don't do it for a day, my anxiety symptoms get a lot worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jmomarty

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 04:11:47 AM »
Hi, you're not alone, I tend to feel much more my anxiety symptoms at the end of the day and during the night (for a moment I had a lot of problems to fall asleep but I managed to deal with it with some melatonine pills and a discipline of going to bed and waking up everyday at the same hours).

On the opposite, I've read that for a lot of depressed people, the morning is the hardest. But for me, I feel like the morning I'm on my best shape and mood so... I don't know it's weird.

What if you tried to have some sort of routine at the end of your day? Do you think it would help?

Also, if you could have someone to talk to, that doesn't judge you but only listens, I know that for me it has helped a LOT when I was in my worst days. My family was sometimes very far from me but I would call them on video and even if we weren't talking, I would let the conversation on so that it would reassure me and I could go back on my tasks.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: