Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: OMG Gastro Dr ordered colonoscopy. Scared to death.  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
OMG Gastro Dr ordered colonoscopy. Scared to death.
« on: January 22, 2014, 11:35:41 AM »
I poste a month to so about on and off bright red blood streaks on my stool for one year. I finally put my fears aside and saw a Gastro today. She was extremely nice and reassuring this was most likely hemorrhoids from my 4 pregnancies and low fiber diet. She still thinks it would be a good idea to have a colonoscopy since it is the only way to be sure and she could see the fear of cancer all over my face. This has absolutely sent me into a complete tizzy. I do not fear the scope I fear the out come. I have spent months and months crying over this. Replaying myself walking up from te scope to my Dr telling me thy found colon cancer. I really want to go through with the colonoscopy because I want to hear good news like this is only bleeding internal hemorrhoids but I'm absolutely terrified of hearing any bad news. I have googled WAY to much and read horror stories of people in their 20s being diagnosed after colonoscopy. My dr said I do not have to have this done and she didn't want to pressure me but she thinks this will help me start living my life again because right now I'm not and haven't been for the last year over this.
As anyone been in my shoes? Terrified of a test cause of the possible out come?  By the way I am
A 26 year old female with no other issues other than bad HA. I also fear I will go through this test and get an all clear and my fear of cancer will be focused some where else.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: OMG Gastro Dr ordered colonoscopy. Scared to death.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »
The reason she ordered colonoscopy is because you are terrified of colon cancer and you wouldn't be able to continue normal life even after she told you that the cause are hemorrhoids.  I am sure colonoscopy will turn out fine, but it will only temporary ease your anxiety unfortunately. After that you will need to treat your HA with therapist, medication etc...
Bookmark and Share

Offline barb444

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 11:42:38 AM »
Please don't worry. Gastro docs have to rule everything out and, from my experience, they always ask you to get a colonoscopy. It's just part of the ruling out procedure. Every time I have gastro complaints I am asked to get another colonoscopy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 11:49:11 AM »
Thanks so much for the reassurance. I think I am going to be a complete mess until its all over with.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 01:32:14 PM »
Generally speaking, blood from colon cancers cause black, tarry stools.  Bright red streaks outside the stool are from anal fissures or hemorrhoids.  Please post when you're testing is over and let us know how you're doing (I'll bet you'll be over the moon happy to get this monkey off your back!).  God Bless :)
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »
Ok guys its bad now. I googled (hand slap) and found another story of a 38 year old female with blood on stool that turned out to be rectal cancer after a colonoscopy. I am crying and shaking and can't stop. My head is pounding and I'm paralyzed with fear. I have had many cancer fears and scares but this is my worst one yet. I can't function. I think this is cancer, why else would I have off and on bleeding. All I an think about is leaving behind my husband and 4 little ones. This is awful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline barb444

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »
it's not cancer. Don't google symptoms - you will always find some story to match your worries. Right now I am concerned about a growth on my rear end (I know it sounds funny, but I am worrying about skin cancer!). I know if I google "skin cancer on buttocks" it will show me the one person in a zillion who had such a thing. I just don't google symptoms - I come here instead so people can talk sense to me.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 01:51:37 PM »
Google some more and you will find someone who fell from 6000 feet without parachute and survived...almost anything is possible, and if you are going to drive yourself crazy even though odds are you are fine, then your troubles are just starting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 02:08:20 PM »
I have been to the GI physician many times and have had 5 or 6 colonoscopy's and 8 EGD's because I had an
esophageal ulcer. My GI is the head of the GI department at a large regional medical center. He told me that it is
standard procedure to do a colonoscopy if someone has persistent rectal bleeding or blood in or around the stool.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Online Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 02:36:44 PM »
I was 22 when I had bright red blood on my stools. I also had a colonoscopy. And like you I was way more terrified of the results. At the end of the prep, i pooped nothing but blood. I had my bleeding for a couple years. I had a polyp removed. Persistent bleeding always always always needs to be checked out. Fom your previous posts, your case sounds highly indicative of hemorrhoids but dont live your life afraid to poop. ;)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 02:47:51 PM »
That's another huge fear. Bleeding during the prep since I had one bad episode of diarrhea with a stomacj flu that caused a lot of bleeding and mucous. She said that is very common with internal hemorrhoids and she proscribed me suppositories for my hemorrhoids before prep! I have never been more nervous in my life.
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 03:26:33 PM »
Well if it does happen, you wont be the first and pretty sure you wont be the last. Is it scary. Yea, its terrifying. But within twenty four hours you will know why. My cousin filled the toilet with blood when she was in her earlier 30s. Rectal bleeding is pretty common but it needs to be investigated. The chances of catching it before it is cancer are great
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 03:27:23 PM »
Not to say you do have a polyp because as i previously mentioned i think you have hemorrhoids. But if it is a polyp at least you are getting it checked and not waiting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 03:45:12 PM »
I can defiantly see my hemorrhoids. Way TMI but I checked with my mirror while sitting on the toilet and they bulge while and only while I'm sitting. There is also one right inside my anus that prolapses down to where I can see it if i bare down but doesn't actually protrude all the way out of that makes sense. It's just visible inside the opening. I also have bad varicose veins in my left leg and vaginal varicose veins that cause a great deal of pain during my period (sorry for all this TMI junk) so I know I am very prone to vein issues but I just can't shake this scary fear and t all because I have spent 1 year googling.

Brick was there colon cancer history in your family?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 03:52:32 PM »
If you can see your hemorrhoids, then you have hemorrhoids. Relax now :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: