Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Effexor Xl 75mg  (Read 302 times)

Offline Brian1983

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Effexor Xl 75mg
« on: January 22, 2014, 10:36:46 AM »
Hi Just a question I have suffered with anxiety and panic attacks over the last few years..but the last 4 months its been really bad its an everyday thing..the symptoms include Dizziness and brain zaps and I went a few weeks were I could barely leave the house as my depression was really bad ..I went to my doctor over 2 months ago and she subscribed Effexor xl 75mg I have not taking them yet as I keep saying to myself I will get better without medication I definitely have got a lot better in the last month but im still getting dizzy spells and panicky in certain situations..im also starting therapy on Friday..anyways im a thinking of starting the Effexor next week as the dizziness and panicky feelings are really annoying me..anyways I was just wondering has anyone have good reviews about Effexor and will it help with my condition..thanks....
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Effexor Xl 75mg
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 04:33:02 PM »
anyways I was just wondering has anyone have good reviews about Effexor and will it help with my condition..thanks

Effexor is as likely to work as any other antidepressant, but whether it will for you can only be determined by taking it. No antidepressant is intrinsically any better than another, though usually one or two will be for an individual.

However, Effexor, and especially the slow-release versions, would not be my first choice for anxiety/panic. Effexor has no advantages over SSRIs as at the doses typically prescribed for anxiety it only acts as an SSRI, not a SNRI, but it can be harder to discontinue. The problem with the slow-release versions is that should the initial side-effects prove too uncomfortable there is no easy way of cutting back the dose. OTOH, if you had very severe, can't get out of bed depression, Effexor would be one of the two most likely to pull you out of it, Remeron (mirtazapine) being the other.

IMHO, either Celexa (citalopram) or Lexapro (escitalopram) would be a better initial choice, with a leaning to Celexa. They have the same active chemical, but Celexa has a wider dose range.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »
Hi Just a question I have suffered with anxiety and panic attacks over the last few years..but the last 4 months its been really bad its an everyday thing..the symptoms include Dizziness and brain zaps and I went a few weeks were I could barely leave the house as my depression was really bad ..I went to my doctor over 2 months ago and she subscribed Effexor xl 75mg I have not taking them yet as I keep saying to myself I will get better without medication I definitely have got a lot better in the last month but im still getting dizzy spells and panicky in certain situations..im also starting therapy on Friday..anyways im a thinking of starting the Effexor next week as the dizziness and panicky feelings are really annoying me..anyways I was just wondering has anyone have good reviews about Effexor and will it help with my condition..thanks....

Yes, antidepressant medication really helps.  I also suffered agoraphobia, where I could barely leave the house, as well as MDD(Major Depressive Disorder) where I was clinically depressed.  I could not get out of bed.   When I started taking the medication, and I'm on Zoloft (Setraline), my depression and agoraphobia began to fade away.  And after many months, now, I'm fine.  :happy0151: 

Effexor (generic Velafaxine) is a good med.  In fact, it's one of the most prescribed antidepressants.  If you take it, as prescribed by your doctor, it should begin to alleviate your symptoms, however you will need to give it time.  Antidepressants are not fast acting like aspirin,  You may have to wait up to 12 weeks to get a stable effect. However many users can experience some improvement within the first to two weeks on the med.

There are some current visitors on this forum who are on Effexor (Velafaxine).  CrazyCatLady is on it, and she posts semi-frequently.  Likewise I believe CaliforniaDreamer just started Effexor about two weeks ago. If you encounter one of those two on the forum. I'm sure they would be glad to give you insight on their experiences.

I do recommend you get in contact with your doctor again, before you start.  You should have a follow up appointment with your doctor, when you first start taking psychotropic medications.  Preferably see your doctor between three to four weeks after you start.  You can then discuss side effects and other issues you have been experiencing while on the med.

Word of warning, 75mg is the initial start-up dose of Effexor (Velafaxine).  At this level you will definitely feel some improvement, especially if you've been in deep depression over the past weeks/months.  However you may want to titrate (which is go on a smaller dose and gradually get to 75mg).  For some forum members, 75mg is too high to begin on their first dose.
'
Again, I would recommend you get in contact with your doctor about starting the Effexor, and mention if you could start lower than 75mg for the first two to three weeks.   Your doctor should always be informed about your progress.

Don't fear medication.  There are many misconceptions about antidepressants and the people who take them.   There is nothing wrong with taking them.   :P
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline Brian1983

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 09:18:33 AM »
Hi guys thanks for the replies all the info and reviews really help with my decision  these really help..sorry I was prescribed 37.5mg to take for the first week..i think im goin to start on Monday and see how I get on..Thanks again..
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyCatLady

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 09:31:02 AM »
Like Abraham said, I am also on Venlafaxine, going on month three now. It's working very well, however it took about 4 weeks before I noticed 100% improvement. I started at 37.5mg for one week, then transitioned to 75mg which is where I'm at now. Like many, I was afraid and reluctant to start medication as I believed I could manage without it. I'm thankful, however, that I decided to take it. I'm accepting of the fact that I need it. My life is back to normal.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brian1983

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 09:35:34 AM »
Thanks crazycatlady..I definitely  have a few questions for u  during the next week when I start. Thanks again its great to hear its helping people out...
Bookmark and Share

Offline CaliforniaDreamer

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 12:25:49 PM »
Hi Brian,

Abraham is right, I too started Effexor XR (Venlafaxine) two weeks ago. Like CrazyCatLady, I started at 37.5 for the first week and am now on 75mg once a day. So far I have had very mild side effects, slight headache sometimes, yawning, feeling a bit tired about mid day. Most have subsided already though, hope it stays that way!

I'm feeling pretty good, some days are better than others, but it is still early.

I too was very scared to start this medicine, but I realized I wouldn't know how it would affect me unless I tried it.

Let us know how it goes if/when you start taking it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brian1983

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 06:47:32 PM »
Hi California dreamer thanks for your reply..I am goin to start on Monday I am to quiet nervous about taking this medication as I have read bad reviews on internet..im feeling way better the last few weeks but I need a little extra help and I feel that the medication can do that..i went from being a active footballer and lots of training to not been able to lift my head of the pillow for a whole week... I always was a nervous person talking in front of others etc..... but this just appeared 1 day out of nowhere the its been 4 months of panic and anxiety sensations dizziness neck tension etc.. im just ready to beat it..plus I would love one of your side affects as in feeling tired I feel like I could run a marathon the whole time  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: