Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Mysterious bump/growth on Rear End  (Read 246 times)

Offline barb444

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Mysterious bump/growth on Rear End
« on: January 22, 2014, 10:33:31 AM »
Can anyone talk me off the ledge? I have had a bump/ boil like/ growth of some sort on my butt for the last month. My husband says it is a boil. It does not go away. I am afraid to go to the doctor because he will tell me it is skin cancer.
Is it possible to have something like this and it not be dangerous?
Why won't it go away?
It does not hurt or itch.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mysterious bump/growth on Rear End
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 11:01:57 AM »
I would get it checked out, so at least you will know what it is. My internal medicine
physician told me that any persistent symptom, growth, etc., should be checked out.
A dermatologist would be the one to see.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 11:03:33 AM »
A boil is an infected hair follicle and that is what this sounds like.  Use hot compresses to draw out the yuck and it should drain on its own.  If you go the the doc they may give you antibiotics to help the process along.  Skin cancer almost always starts out with a discolored area that grows/darkens/changes shape quickly and is usually located on an are of your body that is exposed to the sun a lot.  I have never heard of skin cancer presenting like what you describe, but infected hair follicles (even if all you have on your tush is peach fuzz) on the rump and quite common due to tight fitting clothes or a job where you spend a lot of time sitting down.  Hang in there and try to relax...the problem might not be a fun one but it is not a threat to you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxietycoachNH

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 11:11:17 AM »
Coming from a nurse, this could be a number of benign issues (one of the most common spots for boils is the butt, it's a warm and moist area, gross I know) that a simple round of antibiotics could help. I think having health anxiety makes it easy for us to jump to worst case scenario thinking. Also, looking on WebMd will only reinforce this fear....WebMD has a way of turning a simple cold into tuberculosis. I don't know if you do this, but I used to have the compulsion to look up every symptom, for reassurance, but then I realized it always left me feeling more anxious than before I started so I said "no more".

Definitely go to your primary care provider, even if it's your nightmare come true and it's skin cancer, the earlier it's detected the much better the outcome! But, just to reassure you, the "bad" kind of skin cancer (melanoma) almost always begins with a discolored mole.
Bookmark and Share

Offline barb444

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 11:17:27 AM »
I had a bunch of pimples, or "boils" (I think, not sure what makes a pimple a boil) a few months ago. They all went away except this one. Is it normal for these things to persist?
My husband said same thing about skin cancer - my butt has not been exposed to the sun - ever- so why would it show up there?
I am trying to get the courage to go to the doctor about this thing. I forget about it for a few days, but then I touch back there and it is still there - same as it was before.
Bookmark and Share

Offline barb444

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 12:13:55 PM »
searching this website I found others who mentioned something similar - they were also concerned about cancer - can you have cancer on your butt? (this is not a joke!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »
I suppose you can have cancer almost anywhere....just like you could be struck by lightening at any moment.  (My point is that anything can happen but the likelihood is so low as to be nonexistent.)  I would go see the doc so you can lay your fears to rest...and I second the no Web MD advice!  My husband was messing around with it when I had a cold a few months ago and it diagnosed me with Malaria!  Even though I have never been to a part of the world where Malaria exists!  Real doc's go to school for 8 years to get that MD after their name...Web MD is a computer program who never went anywhere!  Make an appt.  Don't cancel it.  Prepare to get good news.  Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Allytiel90

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 11:27:47 AM »
I used to get these pretty commonly when I was around 17-18. The were typically on my butt on the underwear line. Very painful to sit down! I have weird scars from them. They took quite a while to go away sometimes. I never saw a doctor and am fine today. Sounds like what I had. Like giant pimple, infected boil things. My friend also had one and it had like a hold! I think hers was MRCA. Might get it checked out cause it could become a bad skin infection!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 11:50:22 AM »
Where is this growth at? Does it seep drainage or pop like a pimple would? This sounds like it could be a cyst that is commonly found on the butt that a lot of times needs to be removed surgically. It's nothing scary.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: