Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is this part of anxiety?  (Read 227 times)

Offline Chilly

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is this part of anxiety?
« on: January 22, 2014, 01:47:48 AM »
I was wondering if anyone here could shed a little light for me.
   I am under a constant struggle with intrusive thoughts and rumination over the past few months (so much rumination that I wonder if it's "Pure O" sometimes). Typically, I have these thoughts and they cause me a great amount of anxiety and stress. Every now and then, however, these thoughts come and I don't have much of a response at all, which makes me worry about the fact that these thoughts aren't scaring me. It gets to the point where I feel like I don't know who I am at times, because everthing feels "bland", including these intrusive thoughts.
    It's hard to describe. Maybe it's emotional numbness? Or could it be the meds causing me to feel "phased out" or "flat"? It almost more comfortable feeling scared than nothing at all.
    Does anyone here have any experience with this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this part of anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 06:34:31 AM »
If you suspect it may be the medication and it frightens you I would have a word with my doctor. Depending on what exactly the thoughts are. If they are bad ones I would talk to my doctor. Some medication can have that as a side effect. But it is not a side effect that doctors like people to have. Especially if the thoughts are bad. With anxiety too you can have some thoughts from time to time. I think we have become set in our ways. We just want to get from hour to the next that some things don't bother us in the way they really should. I have had people tell me I was a really cold person before. Just how I deal with things. I am more concerned about looking after myself to let other things bother me at all. Emotionless maybe. But anxiety based. I would still suggest mentioning it to your doctor.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Chilly

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:34:19 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, cuchculan. I'll have to talk to my doctor and my therapist about the meds. I normally would have brought this up to my therapist, but I don't see him until next week.

I did a search for "emotionally numb" and it looks like someone else has asked about the same symptoms as me a while back, so it's at least comforting to know I'm not alone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline geo_eccentric

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 12:49:54 PM »
Yes, absolutely. Despite feeling relatively "stable" at the moment, I'm plagued by this blandness day in and day out for weeks now. However, I have had disturbances/distortions in perception caused by anxiety in the past and have either adapted or returned to normal slowly, but surely. Fingers crossed.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: