Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: An anxiety med that works!  (Read 573 times)

Offline snowmanrn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: An anxiety med that works!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 10:13:28 AM »
This is quite a story!!!!!! For some reason my doc will not change my meds. I have no clue why. My anxiety has been going on for years and years. I was worried about having MS, but with numerous MRI"s that were all normal, I was diagnosed with HA. I find it so difficult to accept this is my problem, especially when meds don't really work. I also take 1mg of Ativan daily, which helps to take the edge off.  Will I ever feel normal again!!!!!!!  Thanks so much for responding.

Gale are you seeing a family doctor or an actual psychiatrist? You definitely need to be going to a psychiatrist that is more familiar with the specific psych drugs if not already. Furthermore while they are trained professionals, everyone responds differently to different meds. I am the only one that has been in control of my disorder. The doctors can give you ideas but ultimately you are the one taking care of yourself and taking the meds. I would do some research on different medications and then start making decisions about what you want to try. Be assertive with your doctor. If he/she isn'w willing to listen then you need to find a new one. I don't mean to dissuade you from your doctor's advice but you aren't getting relief and let's make no mistake.....this is big business. In our world of health/medicine and pharmacotherapeutics, it is all about making money.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »

Gale are you seeing a family doctor or an actual psychiatrist? You definitely need to be going to a psychiatrist that is more familiar with the specific psych drugs if not already. Furthermore while they are trained professionals, everyone responds differently to different meds. I am the only one that has been in control of my disorder. The doctors can give you ideas but ultimately you are the one taking care of yourself and taking the meds. I would do some research on different medications and then start making decisions about what you want to try. Be assertive with your doctor. If he/she isn'w willing to listen then you need to find a new one. I don't mean to dissuade you from your doctor's advice but you aren't getting relief and let's make no mistake.....this is big business. In our world of health/medicine and pharmacotherapeutics, it is all about making money.

Well, I certainly agree that not all medical practitioners are great and if someone is not receiving help from theirs they should go elsewhere. But I do have to comment on that last statement: "It is all about making money" Well....that's certainly part of the motivation. Doctors, PAs, nurses, pharmacists....you do realize they need to feed their families too and keep a home yes? Just as any other person in a different line of work.  And family practice or mental health is not a big "money maker" in medicine. So, no, for most of these people it's not "all about making money" it IS about helping people.

I am glad to hear the lyrica has been a big help to you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline snowmanrn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 06:55:56 PM »
Agree to disagree. My experiences as a nurse for over 10 years, as a student in nurse practitioner school, and now as a chronic psych patient have taught me otherwise. These pharmaceutical companies are raking in billlllions. I am a hard working middle class stiff just like everyone else---In fact I work for one of the most prestigious university hospitals in the nation. Lyrica is basically the only medication that keeps me from thinking about jumping out of a window everyday. My monthly out of pocket expense for it is $350. Hmmmmm. Well this is just taste of the soap box and I'm not on here to argue. I just think people really should be helped.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything