Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Food Fear?  (Read 76 times)

Offline Swabby

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Food Fear?
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:44:04 PM »
Okay...this is a weird one. A month or so ago I started getting concerned with all the warning labels on nuts, etc (May contain this, that, etc). I'm not really worried about food allergies because a google search (first mistake) states that although it's rare, adults can start having food allergies. I am 32 in good health and haven't had a food allergy (other than a mild reaction to what I think was pineapple when I was younger resulting in a rash... we couldn't figure out what it was so after about six months it was eliminated and it resolved itself. That was 20 years ago though. I take a multivitamin with pineapple in it and do not have an issue.

So.. I've never had a food allergy but I guess I've got some concern because people "all of a sudden" develop them. I'm concerned what if i'm somewhere that it's inconvenient to have one. So..I've started to avoid peanuts, almonds, etc....sub consenciously.

Has anyone struggled with this before? How did they resolve it in their mind?
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Food Fear?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:05:31 PM »
Hi, well I've been having bad allergy symptoms for awhile; sinus congestion, ear 'fullness', runny nose, etc.. I finally went to an allergist last Fall. She tested me for all kinds of environmental allergies, and milk, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts. Turns out I was allergic to wheat! Among others like mold, cats, certain grasses, trees, and weeds.

Anyway, I have been having stomach issues for about 5 years or more---could have possibly been wheat. It's not celiac disease though, thank goodness.

I read that foods we eat over the course of our life can become harder to digest, hence causing allergies or sensitivities.

Now I'm 99% gluten (wheat) free. The 1% sneaks in here or there :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: