Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Gerascophobia - phobia of growing old.  (Read 398 times)

Offline missjones

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Gerascophobia - phobia of growing old.
« on: January 21, 2014, 07:49:42 PM »
Anyone else suffer with a fear of growing old/looking/getting older?? I'm 24 and my fear is getting progressively worse, I  constantly checking for lines and wrinkles, when I see old people it terrifies me that I will be like that one day. I don't celebrate my birthday because I hate acknowledgingy age and also having other people know I'm getting older. I also constantly fear it's too late to accomplish my dreams because of my age. Like ive wasted my life, im not where others are at with their career and relationships etc... It really holds me back from so much.

Anyone else??
Bookmark and Share

Offline missjones

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Gerascophobia - phobia of growing old.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 07:52:36 PM »
Oops shouldn't have written that so fast, just noticed my horrible grammar mistakes! Haha
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »
I have this fear as well. I plan to stay young at heart forever.  :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline RansfordRowe

• Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 01:37:32 AM »
Hi.Actually it was my birthday a week or so ago and I did not celebrate it at all.My birthday is just after xmas in the new year.

I actually had a small argument with my brother about it.He wanted to mark the occassion but I would not eand he got abit annoyyed about it.We have cleared the air since and its been sorted out I think.

In my case at least getting older is linked to not acheiving the goals I had set myself.A year older means another year of not achieving and being a loser.Im getting better though at dealing with these issues and this bithday did not make me very unhappy like it use to a few years ago.

I wander if as a woman you are linking your self worth to your appearance due to socities pressues and personally views of beauty.Could you fear not being attractive due to aging.

Im not going say that you are only in your twenties so what are you worrying about.Thats the kind of statement that people with issues like anxiety get told by people that dont understand.You feel the way you do for a reason.Have you spoken to family,a therapist about these problems.

Obviously I dont know you personally so this could be totally wrong in your case in regards to why you feel the way you do.I feel for you since I can relate to feeling strong emotions about things like age.

Feel free to leave a message on my page if you need to have a chat.
Bookmark and Share
Life can be heaven or hell depending on your frame of mind.Im trying to make it more heaven than hell.

Offline alexa884

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 01:36:11 PM »
I constantly notice the changes on my face and even in my health condition, for example I used to be a lot more resistant, I would not get a cold as often as I do now, I just feel like I became fragile, that my skin shows signs of time. I am only 29, will turn 30 this year.

The irony is that everyone keeps telling me that I look a lot younger than I am in reality.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Noclip1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 01:14:20 AM »
Well I don't know if this would be considered a fear of getting older for me but it seems that everytime I get older (every birthday), I feel kind of down and sad that time is moving me forward. I always look back at the great times I had in elementary and feel sad sometimes (nostalgic most of the times though) and get kind of scared that I am getting older.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: