Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Xanax  (Read 168 times)

Offline Radiant_Nebula

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Xanax
« on: January 21, 2014, 07:29:20 PM »
Hello everyone,
I was recently prescribed Xanax for a recent anxiety attack that ended with me in the ER. I was told to take it as needed. I can feel anxiety rearing its ugly head again but ironically taking the medication I was prescribed for anxiety makes me anxious! Anyways, I was wondering if anyone takes this and what, if any, side effects you have experienced. It would really help me to hear other's experiences. Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Xanax
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 07:50:23 PM »
I was recently prescribed Xanax for a recent anxiety attack that ended with me in the ER. I was told to take it as needed. I can feel anxiety rearing its ugly head again but ironically taking the medication I was prescribed for anxiety makes me anxious! Anyways, I was wondering if anyone takes this and what, if any, side effects you have experienced. It would really help me to hear other's experiences. Thanks!

Xanax (alprozalam) is one of the short-acting benzodiazepines (BZDs) which is ideal for occasional anxiety. While you may not have taken pharmaceutical grade BZDs before, you have been exposed to them all your life as they occur naturally in all foods.

Usually the only side-effect is sedation, but tolerance to this tends to build quickjly, often after only a couple of weeks. Don't drive or do anything hazardous if affected.

While BZDs are very effective anti anxiety drugs with few side-effects, they are not good, taken daily, primary meds as doctors are becoming increasingly wary of prescribing them because of the perceived dependency issue. So if you need to take Xanax more than 2-3 times a week I suggest you ask your doctor about antidepressants. They are a better option for chronic anxiety.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: