Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Radon Worries!!  (Read 323 times)

Offline am123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Radon Worries!!
« on: January 21, 2014, 04:40:51 PM »
Hello all....I am new to this forum...but certainly have extreme health anxiety.  I wasn't sure where to first post this but thought I'd start here.  I have had many, many instances of health worries over the years, which range from irrational to slightly rational; all were mitigated by the doc doing tests and assuring me I'm fine, etc.  Recently I've had a chronic cough/phlegm, which NORMALLY would probably be nothing to worry about (I'm 32, healthy).  But I recently found out my parents' home has highly elevated radon.  40 pCi/L in the basement (EPA levels to mitigate are 4 pCi/L!!!!).  They are testing the upstairs (we never spent much time in the basement, but typically levels are only about half upstairs than what they are in the basement - so maybe 20 pCi/L).  Unfortunately, I grew up in that house for ~20 yrs.  They have lived there for 42 years and are pretty healthy - at least, they have never been diagnosed with lung cancer.  But now I am soooooooo scared at having lived with levels like that for so long.  Luckily, I have been out of the house for 10 years or so (sometimes visiting, but not spending overly huge amounts of time there) and I take pretty good care of myself (no smoking, eat pretty well, exercise, etc.).   I had an uncle die of lung cancer at age 59 (he was a smoker), so I know how horrible a disease it is, and now I am just terrified I could get it!!!!  My doc thinks what I have is sinus-related.

Does anyone know if they grew up in a high-radon house, and are OK??? If so, what were your levels?  I realize I can't worry about "what-if" my whole life, but it's so hard to forget about this. I'm afraid this is one anxiety that will never be remedied.  :(  I feel like if I'm in a high-radon area (Pennsylvania) loads of people have to have grown up in situations like this. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline RussulaEmetica

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Radon Worries!!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 08:23:33 PM »
Here in Portland there is a fair bit of the city that is notorious for having high radon levels, and I also spend a lot of time in my buddy's basement which is in one of those areas, so needless to say, it is a worry that I've had. My grandmother who is just about 80 has been living in a house in Baltimore with radon for a long long time (40 or so years). My mother and her 2 siblings also grew up in that house. My grandmother is also a lifelong smoker. So far, she hasn't been diagnosed with any lung-related diseases, and all her children seem to be in the clear (now in their mid-upper 40's). I know when I was reading about lung cancer caused by smoking, it seems that the lungs are able to recover after you stop smoking and decrease your lung cancer risk back to around pre-smoking levels. Im not sure if this is the same for radon however. But, best thing to do would be to avoid it when possible and keep leading a healthy lifestyle.
Bookmark and Share

Offline am123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Radon Worries!!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:55:39 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance. :) Do you happen to remember how high the radon was measured? I'm glad to hear no one is sick from it so far.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: radon lung cancer