Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does it sound like social anxiety?  (Read 640 times)

Offline Radiant_Nebula

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does it sound like social anxiety?
« on: January 21, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
Hello everyone,
I've never been diagnosed with social anxiety but I've always assumed it may be there. I survived college by focusing on my studies and living in the library rather than trying to develop a social life. I have friends, but not many (think like 2), and have trouble maintaining any friendship. New situations make me nervous, I hate meeting new people because I never know what to talk about and I have general trust issues. I prefer to be alone in my apartment. I've maintained a healthy relationship with my boyfriend but beyond that I only have a couple people that I talk to, one being my mother. I recently graduated and I have to find a job someday but it really makes me nervous to think about having to maintain relationships with my coworkers. I worked in college but I was usually alone so having to work with people all the time would be new territory for me.

My questions is; how do you maintain normal lives with social anxiety, how do you maintain any relationships, in general how do you cope? I would love to have a social life but I just cant seem to break the thought that friends (and people) are just going to hurt me in the end. Any tips you can offer or stories you could tell would be greatly appreciated!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isa

• Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does it sound like social anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 08:26:01 PM »
I also have those questions myself. I have yet to actually have a boyfriend, and I don't have friends currently. I still live with my parents and half a part time job. Right now I am in therapy, which is really helping me although it is a slow process. I would really encourage you to talk with a counselor, even a few appointments if you can't afford much, as coping skills can tend to be personal. Some of mine are learning to breathe through the anxiety, nipping my panic in the bud before it becomes an attack (I have panic attacks), acknowledging my feelings and checking in with myself in my mind and/or in a journal. I find doing some crosswords in a moment of higher anxiety or somehow making my mind focus on something will help so I don't have racing thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Radiant_Nebula

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does it sound like social anxiety?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
Thank you for your reply, it means so much! I've actually been wanting to go to a counselor since I was 14 (Im now 22) but my mom has always been super against it. She always tells me that 'Its mind over matter' and as long as I put my mind to it and put some effort into it I can make myself better. I dont think she really understands that sometimes its not that easy...
Bookmark and Share

Tags: