Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety will driving and being away from home  (Read 164 times)

Offline derrickparker86

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety will driving and being away from home
« on: January 21, 2014, 11:36:29 AM »
I don't know why but I have been recently having bad anxiety while driving to work and being at work (thinking about getting back home). I only live 4 miles away from work but it's so bad I have missed work for like 2 weeks straight now. Can anyone help with some tips? Thanks!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bubbles18

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety will driving and being away from home
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 08:38:07 PM »
Hi Derrick,

That happens to me as well.  I too work like 5 miles if that from my house.  I suffer from Anxiety/Panic disorder.  I recently went to visit a friend in NJ and started having a panic attack like 5 minutes to reaching her house on the highway.  I thought I was going to die and was all ready looking for what hospitals were in that area. It was crazy.  Then on my way back home I had another one.  I worked through both but it was scary.  When I drive to work sometimes I start getting a bit anxious and what I do is try to put postive thoughts in my head, stop thinking about whatever it is that may be causing me to get anxiety, I practice deep breathing and listen to yoga music or anything that is calming.  If its sunny out this might sound crazy but I try and soak it in while I am driving and think of hoow pleasant the sun is and how good it makes me feel.  All those things seem to calm me down.  I also chew gum in the care ALOT because it seems to help.  But, know that you are not alone.  You need to tell yourseld that you will be ok and its just anxiety and nothing bad is going to happen.  Stay strong and perhaps try some of these things to see if they help you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline derrickparker86

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:06:26 PM »
Thanks! Those sound like great suggestions and I will try them out tomorrow when I'm heading to work. Thanks for the support!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bubbles18

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 05:14:47 PM »
You welcome  :happy0151: Let me know how it turns out. I notice that if I am distracted with something else it makes me not focus so much on the anxiety symptoms going on at that moment and then seem to subside or go away. Another thing I fail to mention not sure if you are into music but singing along with songs helps distract me and assists in taking my mind away from the symptoms when I am driving. Its all about trying to clear your mind of these thoughts when driving and trust me I know its hard I deal with it and have been ut its gotten better with all those techniques I put into play when its happening and even prior right before I take off to work. But, hang in there and keep me posted would like to know how your ride to work went.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Driving anxiety