Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Poll : what started your hypochondria  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Some Weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
Poll : what started your hypochondria
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:46:34 AM »
What started your hypochondria ?
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

Offline LillyVDR

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Poll : what started your hypochondria
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »
My father getting a melanoma in his eye, followed by a friend, my age who got a brain tumor. And mostly, the articles online about young people having cancer....
Bookmark and Share

Offline beast216

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »
I had Epstein Barr Viruas which took me a long time to recover from.  Started me on a path of thinking there was more wrong.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Living in Fear of My Own Body
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »
I'm not totally sure what started it, but I do know anxiety runs in my family. My father used to tell me that he had anxiety problems when he was younger (and nobody knew what anxiety was or how to help) and my brother has anxiety problems as well. Neither one of them had hypochondria but anxiety is anxiety I guess, just manifests it's self in different ways. I think a lot of my fears I have with hypochondria can be related back to losing my father though. I always find myself relating back to that and saying that I don't want to go through that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chantelle

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 02:25:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've had it from birth...no joke! I was very ill for the first year of my life and was poked and prodded LOTS. I was told recently by my mother that I required heel pricks every other day and that, even at a few days old, would immediately start to cry when I heard the sound of the packaging coming off the needles. I recall being very anxious as early as 4 years old sitting in the doctors office. It was this sense of anticipatory anxiety and the feeling of the unknown that petrified me and sadly, 30 years later I am not any better!
Bookmark and Share

Online Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 02:36:23 PM »
I got a staph infection. there are at least 40 visible scars from the wounds. The one on my face is the size of a quarter. When you have six weeks of holes opening up on your body and not healing... its easy to get terrified.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Radiant_Nebula

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 02:55:52 PM »
I've always been a really anxious person but when both my grandmother and grandfather ended up in the hospital at the same time it really kicked off my fear of health related issues. My grandma has COPD and contracted pneumonia, so she ended up in the hospital and my grandfather, who has always been super healthy, was having some bladder/urinary tract issues (still not sure what the initial problem was/is exactly) he underwent exploratory surgery and ended up in the hospital after. He developed a blood clot in his leg which led to pulmonary embolisms, he also had 2 minor heart attacks and pneumonia while in the hospital. Luckily they are both okay now and recovering but in the process of all of this I had a really bad anxiety attack; chest pain, shortness of breath, etc. I ended up in the ER and since then any pain makes me freak out. On top of that my uncle recently told me that his co-worker's son died on Christmas Eve at 28 years old of a pulmonary embolism. This, along with what happened to my grandfather, has made me overly fearful of blood clots. My grandparents and I have always been really close so this whole incident kind of made me more aware of how fragile life really is and has made me a bit paranoid about my health and my body.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Diane

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 06:59:22 PM »
I had a tonsillectomy when I was maybe 4 years old, I remember my parents leaving me there, me screaming for them not to leave me, and being dealt with sternly by the pediatrician and hospital staff, and (I think) being held down because I was struggling. To top it off there was a small complication (the surgeon nicked my vocal cord so I was in the hospital for a week rather than a couple days and it was very painful). I actually don't have that much memory of this but I once went to a hypnotherapist who had me walk down a stairway (in my mind), open the door, and tell me what I saw there as relates to my hypochondria - as soon as I mentally opened that door I began sobbing about this tonsillectomy. I later called my older brother to see if he remembered anything about it and he said yes, he remembered me screaming in the hospital and my parents being told to go home, etc. I think that's when my health anxiety started, I feel like something disastrous is going to happen when I go for any medical appointment and I have the general idea that there is something wrong with my body and nobody has discovered it yet. My earliest memory of worrying about an illness was seeing an ad on tv (this was in the 60s) for amblyopia, some eye thing where the eye muscles don't coordinate, and worrying in an obsessive way that my eyes were not coordinated and I would have to wear an eye patch. 
Bookmark and Share
Diane

Offline imMatt

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 07:13:39 PM »
When I was younger, probably around 13-14, I was doing a routine self testicular exam. The right one felt completely normal, but my left one felt very strange: like a bag of worms. I immediately freaked out, thought it was cancer. I held in the fear and suffered in silence for years, until a while later when I finally decided to get it checked. I had routine checkups and the doctor had never said anything about the hugely swollen veins in my sack. So I go in and the doctor told me I had a varicocele. Harmless, he asked me if I wanted an ultrasound, which I opted for. Everything was perfectly fine. I was perfectly fine after that but then I started getting constipated from holding in my bathroom breaks, but that is another story.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shanny63

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 01:14:06 AM »
my mother fed me a diet of fear...she used to tell me horror stories of people being fine one day dead the next..i have always had health anxiety since i was a child...i lost my dad and two brothers within 6 months...it pushed me over the edge and made me the basket case i am today.. B-;
Bookmark and Share

Offline RainBoBrite929

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 01:28:31 AM »
A combo of a friend dying from a rare disease (menningacocal meningitisis (sp?) at 14) and a CCD teacher whose daughter had died earlier in the year so she keep reminding us we all were going to die and probably very soon (she was convinced her handicapped daughter dying could/would predict the second coming etc). This started me thinking about death all the time and then how I was going to die ... Illness or disease or cancer or heart attack etc.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pippy187

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 03:51:15 AM »
Mine is a multi prong attack... Chronic sleep deprivation due to working full time and a part time job and going to school full time'ish. Trying to maintain my competitive fitness level for mountain bike racing, my girlfriend, friends, family.... Oh and my job... I work as a paramedic and was working on med flight (helicopter).  One day after a sleepless busy shift, I opted to meet friends for a morning mountain bike ride.... I drank some coffee on the way to the trails. Peddling around taking hits of energy gel (not the typical honey i use, this had tons of caffeine, ginsing, turanie and various other stimulants)... I still felt tired in the woods... we call it bonking. So I was bonking, my buddy tossed me a red bull, slammed that... figure it would get me out of the woods... another gel and I was out of the woods.... Then it began... I started feeling very lightheaded and felt like I was going to go crazy... Heart rate came up and felt the palpitations begin, throat was "closing" and I couldn't breathe. My girlfriend at the time took me to the ED, my heart rate wouldn't come down below 120 for almost 6 hours, waves of panic kept rolling over me. All I could think about was dying in the ED and how sad my parents would be.  Low and behold a shtty day! Since then I avoid caffeine, only work one job and do school online lol seems to be a good plan of attack :)
Bookmark and Share
He who fears death cannot enjoy life

My anxiety blog: http://pippy187.wordpress.com/

Offline Ineedtosmile

• Some Weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 04:56:53 AM »
Thanks everyone for sharing it is incredible how many different things can start hypochondria... :)
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 10:30:59 AM »
After my colon cancer returned at 3 years to a small spot on my liver (removed and all clear since April 2012) I developed horrible HA.  Mine isn't typical or what seems typical on the board. Mine is usually over little things like a small brown spot on a fingernail (I seem to remember jamming that nail into the side of the dishwasher) or a stuffy nose (doctor said swollen inferior turbinate from raking moldy leaves).  Little stuff that most would overlook MUST be something horrible in my mind.

Bookmark and Share

Offline sad_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 10:38:55 AM »
I've always been afraid of death. Back to when I was a kid of 10 or 11, I was consumed with thoughts of dying and being very afraid. I am now 42. I've been diabetic for 13 years. Last January, my lifelong best friend, a childhood diabetic since 14 years old, who actually went into a coma before he was diagnosed, but survived, well last year he died suddenly of cardiac arrest after leaving the gym. He was a tall guy, and strong, but not fat. Just died. I had been worrying a lot about Pancreatic Cancer in particular BEFORE his death (in summer 2012), after reading "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom at the request of my therapist. That was definitely the WRONG advice. That book has triggered this obsession with death, and in the book, Mitch talks about his uncle who died of Pancreatic Cancer in his 40's. So then I started googling about Pancreatic Cancer. I became obsessed with it, especially learning about how its almost a sure death sentence and can't really be treated successfully. I am always obsessed now with any pain in my upper body, of which I have constantly. I always have upper right rib pain, and sternum pain. I have had tons of tests, and talked to doctors about my Pancreatic Cancer fears, and they all blow that idea off, saying I'm too young. Well, I've read plenty of cases of people in their 40's with it. Then I had heart fears, but at least those were solved after going through a Heart Catheterization Angiogram that declared my heart perfect. Now I'm back on cancer. I am just so scared of dying and not seeing my 6 year old daughter grow up, and leaving her behind, and worry about how my eath would affect her. I worry about being forgotten. Right now, today I am having a major anxiety attack. I had a floating stool this morning, and of course still the pain in my chest and right side, and my Pancreatic Cancer fear is overwhelming. I am on Cymbalta and Klonopin, but the doctor just cut my Klonopin dosage in half about a week and a half ago, and I get headaches constantly. I feel doomed to a young death, especially after my friend dying and leaving his kids behind. I HATE that life always ends in death. I often wish I had never been born, so I wouldn't have to wait for death to come.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: