Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Poll : what started your hypochondria  (Read 1532 times)

Offline RainBoBrite929

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Poll : what started your hypochondria
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 01:28:31 AM »
A combo of a friend dying from a rare disease (menningacocal meningitisis (sp?) at 14) and a CCD teacher whose daughter had died earlier in the year so she keep reminding us we all were going to die and probably very soon (she was convinced her handicapped daughter dying could/would predict the second coming etc). This started me thinking about death all the time and then how I was going to die ... Illness or disease or cancer or heart attack etc.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pippy187

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 03:51:15 AM »
Mine is a multi prong attack... Chronic sleep deprivation due to working full time and a part time job and going to school full time'ish. Trying to maintain my competitive fitness level for mountain bike racing, my girlfriend, friends, family.... Oh and my job... I work as a paramedic and was working on med flight (helicopter).  One day after a sleepless busy shift, I opted to meet friends for a morning mountain bike ride.... I drank some coffee on the way to the trails. Peddling around taking hits of energy gel (not the typical honey i use, this had tons of caffeine, ginsing, turanie and various other stimulants)... I still felt tired in the woods... we call it bonking. So I was bonking, my buddy tossed me a red bull, slammed that... figure it would get me out of the woods... another gel and I was out of the woods.... Then it began... I started feeling very lightheaded and felt like I was going to go crazy... Heart rate came up and felt the palpitations begin, throat was "closing" and I couldn't breathe. My girlfriend at the time took me to the ED, my heart rate wouldn't come down below 120 for almost 6 hours, waves of panic kept rolling over me. All I could think about was dying in the ED and how sad my parents would be.  Low and behold a shtty day! Since then I avoid caffeine, only work one job and do school online lol seems to be a good plan of attack :)
Bookmark and Share
He who fears death cannot enjoy life

My anxiety blog: http://pippy187.wordpress.com/

Offline Ineedtosmile

• A weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 04:56:53 AM »
Thanks everyone for sharing it is incredible how many different things can start hypochondria... :)
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

UPDATE, 4th May 2015: Still haven't thought of a funny caption.

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 10:30:59 AM »
After my colon cancer returned at 3 years to a small spot on my liver (removed and all clear since April 2012) I developed horrible HA.  Mine isn't typical or what seems typical on the board. Mine is usually over little things like a small brown spot on a fingernail (I seem to remember jamming that nail into the side of the dishwasher) or a stuffy nose (doctor said swollen inferior turbinate from raking moldy leaves).  Little stuff that most would overlook MUST be something horrible in my mind.

Bookmark and Share

Offline sad_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 10:38:55 AM »
I've always been afraid of death. Back to when I was a kid of 10 or 11, I was consumed with thoughts of dying and being very afraid. I am now 42. I've been diabetic for 13 years. Last January, my lifelong best friend, a childhood diabetic since 14 years old, who actually went into a coma before he was diagnosed, but survived, well last year he died suddenly of cardiac arrest after leaving the gym. He was a tall guy, and strong, but not fat. Just died. I had been worrying a lot about Pancreatic Cancer in particular BEFORE his death (in summer 2012), after reading "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom at the request of my therapist. That was definitely the WRONG advice. That book has triggered this obsession with death, and in the book, Mitch talks about his uncle who died of Pancreatic Cancer in his 40's. So then I started googling about Pancreatic Cancer. I became obsessed with it, especially learning about how its almost a sure death sentence and can't really be treated successfully. I am always obsessed now with any pain in my upper body, of which I have constantly. I always have upper right rib pain, and sternum pain. I have had tons of tests, and talked to doctors about my Pancreatic Cancer fears, and they all blow that idea off, saying I'm too young. Well, I've read plenty of cases of people in their 40's with it. Then I had heart fears, but at least those were solved after going through a Heart Catheterization Angiogram that declared my heart perfect. Now I'm back on cancer. I am just so scared of dying and not seeing my 6 year old daughter grow up, and leaving her behind, and worry about how my eath would affect her. I worry about being forgotten. Right now, today I am having a major anxiety attack. I had a floating stool this morning, and of course still the pain in my chest and right side, and my Pancreatic Cancer fear is overwhelming. I am on Cymbalta and Klonopin, but the doctor just cut my Klonopin dosage in half about a week and a half ago, and I get headaches constantly. I feel doomed to a young death, especially after my friend dying and leaving his kids behind. I HATE that life always ends in death. I often wish I had never been born, so I wouldn't have to wait for death to come.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 79
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
When I was a young man of 25, I had blood in the toilet bowl after a bowel movement and more
blood when I wiped. It turned out to be nothing serious.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 11:25:06 AM »
I worked as an office manager for the dept of anesthesiology in a large city hospital.  I looked at medical records all day long.  We also had free access to any physician on staff.  By 23 years old, I convinced the Chief of Cardiology to let me wear a halter monitor for 48 hours (my best friend had a mitral valve prolapse).  Of course I was fine.   At 25 developed CFS, then dxd with fibro at 32.
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Living in Fear of My Own Body
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »
When I was a young man of 25, I had blood in the toilet bowl after a bowel movement and more
blood when I wiped. It turned out to be nothing serious.

At 23 you make me feel young, and I've had hypochondria since I was in my teens!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ineedtosmile

• A weirdo that needs to smile.
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • An experienced hypochondriac...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 11:54:08 AM »
Truth is im in my teens... I had anxiety since one family vacation, where i got a bad dream, which was enough to trigger my ha since i had probably weak psychique...
Bookmark and Share
Personal note no.23 - Think of some funny caption to put in here

UPDATE, 4th May 2015: Still haven't thought of a funny caption.

Offline Kindra11

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »
I started with Panic after loosing 2 friends in separate car accidents, panic caused me to develop sever anxiety. Not knowing much about anxiety at 18 I thought I was dying all the time. So I guess my anxiety symptoms caused my HA :)
Bookmark and Share
Broken, But Not Destroyed

Tags:

anything