Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Just gonna do it  (Read 592 times)

Offline chris1234

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Just gonna do it
« on: January 21, 2014, 01:12:19 AM »
I've been anxiety ridden everyday to some degree for two years now for an unknown reason it kinda just came out of nowhere .... I've been pondering taking medications for a while now after my initial scare with Zoloft ... Xanax is great but I don't like the addictive part and I wanna be on a good long term solution... I think lexapro would be a good try for me... Now I just have anxiety about anxiety and about feeling normal again... From
Reading the reviews online there's 1000s of reviews about how greatly these medicine works .. Would becoming normal again be a reasonable goal with medication this disorder is really kicking my ass and I wanna feel good and feel normal again I'm just affraid I guess... People in my family have great success with antidepressants that's why when I see people on here who say they're a placebo and they don't work it confuses me
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Just gonna do it
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 02:33:29 AM »
People in my family have great success with antidepressants that's why when I see people on here who say they're a placebo and they don't work it confuses me

Antidepressants do work for most and when they do they can change lives. However, be aware that they aren't instant 'cures' usually taking 3-12 weeks to kick-in and that they may make anxiety worse initially. Given your experience with Zoloft I suggest you go with Celexa rather than Lexapro. They are the same active drug, but Celexa has a wider dose range which makes it a little easier to start on a low dose. I suggest starting on no more than 5mg/day.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 02:49:07 AM »
Great advice I appreciate it .... And hey, If I waited 2 years what's a couple more weeks
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 02:50:08 AM »
Invest in CBT and exposure therapy rather than medication. You want to solve the deeper issues rather than mask them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 02:51:53 AM »
And a quick question about that reaction ... It wasn't side effects, it was like a bad reaction ... My pupils were huge I was in a constant panic attack for 2 days pacing around hospital rooms sweating and vomitting couldn't eat couldn't sleep, does that mean anything? Or does that just happen sometimes?
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 02:53:37 AM »
I definitely am gonna do CBT ... I don't have an external anxiety, it's all internal and I don't associate with anything like going out or anything I quite frankly don't know why it happened it randomly started one day , but I think if I was on my meds and then went to the CBT it would be more effective
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 03:05:10 AM »
You will eventually have to come off those mess though - and that further delays the inevitable of you're dependent on them. Internalized anxiety without obvious triggers does not mean there aren't deeper triggers. I'd invest in therapy first and then meds if therapy is inconclusive. Most people have great progress with CBT and ET.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 05:50:23 AM »
And a quick question about that reaction ... It wasn't side effects, it was like a bad reaction ... My pupils were huge I was in a constant panic attack for 2 days pacing around hospital rooms sweating and vomitting couldn't eat couldn't sleep, does that mean anything? Or does that just happen sometimes?

The SSRIs can initially make anxiety worse, sometimes much worse. It's caused by the increased serotonin activity which begins within about 30 minutes of the first dose though the heightened anxiety may take a few days to a few weeks to get up a full head of steam. Despite the claims often made serotonin isn't the 'feel good' neurotransmitter, often it's the opposite. Fortunately, after a few weeks this reverses and serotonin synthesis and expression drops back to baseline, and in the areas of the brain associated with anxiety it drops dramatically, see: Serotonin: The 'chemical imbalance' myth

This initial heightened anxiety can't always be totally eliminated, but starting on a low dose plus small amounts of one of the benzodiazepines can help make it tolerable. The highest Zoloft dose you should have been started on is 25mg, and 12.5mg might have been even better.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 05:53:03 AM »
You will eventually have to come off those mess though

Why?

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 01:29:44 PM »
Yeah why ? My aunt has been taking Zoloft for like 19 years now and she's fine... Her health records come back good every time
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 02:57:25 PM »
It's your choice. Surely you'd want to not have a psychological and physiological dependence rather than fixing the deeper issues.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 04:28:32 PM »
I don't have deep issues ... I never was anxious or depressed as a child it came from nothing on a normal day idk what issues I would look for I think I'm just stuck in a bad rut I went to one psychologist and he told me  that
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 04:35:43 PM »
Quite a few people so have anxiety that happened out of the blue - including myself. And those type of people are prime candidates for NOT solving it with medication because it happened acutely. Have you gone to a GP and done basic testing to validate that you're not suffering from an unknown condition like hyperthyroidism?
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 04:36:46 PM »
It's your choice. Surely you'd want to not have a psychological and physiological dependence rather than fixing the deeper issues.

Why are you being critical of his plan for his own health? He already discussed his interest in doing CBT.  There's enough antagonism about the use of psychiatric medication without having to deal with it on this forum. It doesn't sound like this is something he's jumping into after one bad week.

Therapy can be a very beneficial tool, but is not the be-all end-all treatment for every person suffering from anxiety and depression. Qualified therapists are not accessible for everyone. The therapist I tried was not a good fit for me at all.  Also: I was attempting so many anxiety coping tools: exercise, meditation, CBT strategies....and I was so anxious, so overwhelmed I could not manage these things successfully. I've been on Lexapro for two months, and these techniques are falling into place. Nearly every day I'm taking some time for self-examination to see where I'm at with my anxiety and with my life in general, where I'm at and where I wanted to be. Previous to the medication, I was just trying to hold my head above water and get through the day.

Surely that diabetic shouldn't be physiologically dependent on their insulin....
Surely that asthma patient shouldn't be dependent on that inhaler just to breathe!  ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 04:37:51 PM »
Quite a few people so have anxiety that happened out of the blue - including myself. And those type of people are prime candidates for NOT solving it with medication because it happened acutely. Have you gone to a GP and done basic testing to validate that you're not suffering from an unknown condition like hyperthyroidism?

Now THIS comment I can support.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: