Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Omega-3/Krill Oil  (Read 245 times)

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Omega-3/Krill Oil
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:55:16 PM »
Hi everyone...

It's my understanding that next to exercise, supplementing one's diet with omega-3/fish oil, also aids in neurogenesis.

I just picked-up some omega-3/fish oil (Krill oil) softgels.  Each capsule has 300 mg.

My question is, how much should I take?  The directions state one capsule, daily, but is it better to take more than that to aid in neurogenesis?

Thanks so much for any responses...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 90
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Omega-3/Krill Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 10:11:19 PM »
My question is, how much should I take?  The directions state one capsule, daily, but is it better to take more than that to aid in neurogenesis?

Not sure about the Fish/krill oil combination, but for straight fishoil 4-6 capsules in divided doses is about right for those not on antidepressants. With antidepressants 2-3 might be enough. To avoid diarrhea start on one capsule a day and increase by another every 3-5 days.

Of the two main fatty acids in fish oil, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), EPA seems to be the more important for easing anxiety and depression so chose brands which have the highest EPA-DHA ratio (Samieri C, 2012; Sublette ME, 2011; Martins JG. 2009).

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline MobileChucko

• Global Moderator
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 10:31:51 PM »
Hi Ian...  Thanks for the great information!

I got Schiff's MegaRed omega-3/Krill oil.  It has 50 mg of EPA and 24 mg DHA.  Also has 90 mg of omega-3 fatty acids, and 130 mg of phospholipids.

The very best to you, Ian!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 11:23:28 PM »
Hi Chuck,

Keep your psychiatrist in the loop about your use of fish oil.  From what I've read online, from various sources, and as you have written, the EPA/DHA ratio is the most important ingredient with Fish Oil intake.   In conjunction with my use of Setraline, I've been taking 2 [300mg Omega3 (1200)] fish oil capsules since early October.  I do feel better, however, I'm not sure if it's the fish oil, or if it's the uptake of Setraline.  Other antidepressant users have reported similar conflicting views on whether they are gaining benefit from fish oil, but it really boils down to the correct dosage.   This will be debatable from person to person, and likewise, the right brand is an issue too, because it appears the more expensive fish oil brands have more EPA/DHA content.

My new psychiatrist and I discussed the use of fish oil, and she plans to raise my intake, after I adjust to a raise of 200mg on Setraline.   From the conversation I had with her last week, a larger intake of fish oil supplements (with the right brand) are preferable, however she and I will determine what that quantity is.  My last doctor didn't really keep up to date with the fish oil studies, and that was a big turn off for me, so I found a doctor who did, and who also has a better track record in keeping up to date with the research on other supplements, outside the use of psychiatric medications, on mental health.

Steve

Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline MobileChucko

• Global Moderator
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 11:42:02 PM »
Hi Steve...

Thanks for your response, and the great suggestion to keep my psychiatrist informed of my use of the omega-3/Krill oil supplement.  I didn't even think of that.  I will be seeing her again in four weeks, so you can bet that I'll be talking to her about it.

The very best to you, Steve!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 90
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 02:11:37 AM »
It has 50 mg of EPA and 24 mg DHA.  Also has 90 mg of omega-3 fatty acids, and 130 mg of phospholipids.

That seems on the low side. The el cheapo fishoil brand I buy contains 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA per 1,000mg capsule (I actually buy it in 2,000mg capsules so I don't rattle so much ;). I understand some U.S. brands have a higher EPA-DHA ratio which would be worth considering provided they don't charge an arm and leg for them.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: