Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: please tell me this is anxiety  (Read 886 times)

Offline perc19

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
please tell me this is anxiety
« on: January 20, 2014, 11:35:10 AM »
I have tried so hard this last week not too post on here in an attempt to beat my anxiety, I have brain worries now since end of august, headaches consisting of pressure or tension headaches, stabbing pains on right side always in same place, I have had light headedness, feeling like my head is somewhere else, dizziness, feelings like I'm going to fall over but don't yet.

I am scared it is a brain tumour, or epilepsy or anything wrong with my brain. I have seen 5 different doctors since august, all saying it is anxiety! Tried amytryptyline, now on 1 beta blocker a day for 2 weeks. But feel like crap and I'm scared.

Can this all really be anxiety?????? Scary as it can also be signs of something serious, but nobody has done blood tests or an mri - what do I do????   
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: please tell me this is anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:38:52 AM »
I have known a few people who have had brain tumors and the common symptom all of them had was
progressively worsening headaches.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 11:41:37 AM »
It's anxiety :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 11:52:18 AM »
But what if the doctors are wrong and everyone is just waiting for me to have a fit or pass out or something.

What happens if the beta blockers are easing the headaches and therefore I don't know if they are getting worse????

Can I beg for an mri or bloodtests?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Taurus4

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »
I don't know if this will ease your mind at all but I suffered the exact same symptoms about 3 years ago. I would get shooting pains in my head, blurred vision and my anxiety was so bad I always felt like I was seconds away from passing out. My MRI came back clean and my symptoms magically started to go away. My anxiety stayed though. What really helped me during that time was taking control of my anxiety and focusing on dealing with that. Unfortunately, I've had a bad few months and I've started to focus on another illness. The cycle never really ends for us. My only advice to you would be to focus on dealing with your anxiety, not on an illness that you most likely do not have. I'm trying to follow that advice myself right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 01:04:58 PM »
It does help to know I'm not alone - thank you for the reassurance!!!  I also get head rush feeling where my head feels really odd and fuzzy and then I close my eyes and hope that I don't get dizzy or pass out!

Jow do I know it isn't epilepsy or something serious!!! How do I get out of it?

Scared
Bookmark and Share

Offline Taurus4

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 02:39:26 PM »
If it was epilepsy you would most likely be suffering from seizures. I read once some people are first diagnosed with a brain tumor after suffering a grand mal seizure. Of course after I read this I just kept waiting to have one to confirm my fears. I'm sure you can guess, I never had one. Your mind is playing tricks on you right now because you are focused so hard on these symptoms. What sucks about anxiety is that the physical symptoms you feel are real, but the majority of the time they are not caused by the serious illness you fear it is. I'm going through the same thing right now with stomach issues. My thoughts are so consumed by my symptoms that I can't imagine kt being anything other than cancer. It sucks but I'm trying my best to focus on treating my anxiety, not searching for a diagnosis of something is probably not even there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 03:12:26 PM »
Thank you for your helpful words, it does make me feel better knowing I'm not alone, but I'm just so scared that these symptoms are actually real and that soon they are going to get worse, then it will be too late.

How do I stop thinking, how do I enjoy my days with my beautiful family without worrying that I'm going to pass out, fit or just die?????

Are these symptoms real symptoms of a serious illness and not just anxiety? How do I lmow the difference??
Bookmark and Share

Offline Taurus4

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »
Honestly, what helped me through my hard time was therapy and anxiety medication. I haven't had either for about a year and it's no coincidence that my anxiety level is once again reaching an all time high. I'm going to look into talking to someone again because that seemed to help me a lot. Please don't live your life anticipating that you're just going to drop dead anywhere. It's unrealistic and just not good for your mental health. I remember being terrified to do the normal things I once loved to do and a lot of my relationships suffered from it. Have you thought about making a doctor's appointment about your anxiety? They would be able to provide some methods to help you deal with it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 03:43:29 PM »
You went to 5 different doctors and theycall said it's anxiety, that's how you know it is anxiety. Now, your next doctor should be therapist to threat your anxiety and not neurologist.
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 03:51:53 PM »
Ha ha ha - you see when you put it like that??

However in my defence, each time I have been to the doctor, I have had a new symptom which has freaked me out some what!

Besides they could read the notes from 1st visit and assume its anxiety when it isn't.

My last doctor visit has signed me up for CBT - perhaps that is what I do need!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 03:56:24 PM »
CBT could help, medication too, just try to acceptvthe problem - anxiety...then you can deal with it properly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
I hope and pray it is anxiety

Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 05:14:34 PM »
I hope and pray it is anxiety

It sounds like you haven't accepted the diagnosis of anxiety. There is no hoping and praying needed - only accepting. You're subtly avoiding dealing with the fact that it's actually anxiety behind all of this - and as a result the physical symptoms of it will continue until that acceptance arrives.

CBT and exposure therapy are the best thing for you, but only after you accept the diagnosis already given to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »
You are so right, but I think the only reason I haven't accepted it is because I just cannot understand how my body can express itself in all these odd scary ways if it is just anxiety! Why does my brain feel fuzzy and scary, why do I get waves of pain or weirdness, stabbing pains and feel dizzy and lightheaded, nausea, just because of anxiety?!

I just don't understand it and I think that is why I am so convinced it is something else that is life threatening.

Does that make sense?

Thank you for your responses
Bookmark and Share

Tags: