Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Dry skin? Eczema? Skin cancer?  (Read 338 times)

Offline Ksteph

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Dry skin? Eczema? Skin cancer?
« on: January 19, 2014, 09:00:25 PM »
I have this raised red spot on the inside of my arm near my wrist, it's about the size of a nickel. Sometimes it kind if goes away and then it comes back, my skin has bee really dry lately and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. I've had it for a few months and I just googled it and abunch of skin cancer articles popped up. :( could it be dry skin or eczema maybe? Anyone ever had something like this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dry skin? Eczema? Skin cancer?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 10:13:46 PM »
I have eczema flare ups in that area from time to time.  Mine are small bumps that itch like crazy. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 11:13:45 PM »
I am no doctor so I cannot diagnose you. It would be good if you could possibly include a picture of it?

A few months ago, I noticed a red patch under my right eye towards the nose. I never thought much of it. It was a few days later when I had noticed it again; after realising that it has been there for weeks, I started to panic. Like you, I googled the symptoms (something we should never do); like you, the results were articles about skin cancer. And like you, I started to panic. And also like you, it would appear to get better but then reappear much worse.

I went for about a week with constant anxiety about this patch… and during this week, it started to raise above my skin and would change from a slight pink tint to a dark red colour; the skin would dry up and start to flake - and it would cause burning and pain. But when I started to read up about other skin conditions caused by stress & anxiety, I started to become less panicked about it. And as soon as I started to panic less, the patch started to fade. And now, only occasionally do I see slight dry skin and a slight tint of redness in the same area. It has been like this for about 1-2 months now. So I concluded it was anxiety related and it wouldn't worry me too much if I find other patches elsewhere now. And it wouldn't surprise me if I did get them another time.

The fact that your patch has disappeared and then came back is a HUGE indicator that whatever rash it is, it is swaying a lot more towards a rash caused by anxiety than it is cancer. Also, under your arm near your wrist is not a very common place to get skin cancer. My patch was on my face which is a common place for skin cancer; this is what made me panic more. But never take my word for it. Like I said, I cannot diagnose you.

But this sounds to me like it is anxiety related. Rashes caused by stress & anxiety is very nearly as common as headaches caused by stress & anxiety i.e. VERY common. Keep these things in mind when you start to get worrying thoughts. It may just help. If you really feel you have to, although I personally wouldn't recommend it at this point, go to the doctor about it. But I would suggest you try and keep calm and just keep an eye on it while making notes on its behaviour. If it does start to get bigger, cause pain, itch, ulcerate, burn etc. then definitely get it checked out.

But you should really hold onto the thought that based on the fact that it had disappeared, or even if it just got a little better, this is a massive indicator pointing towards anxiety! If you notice any improvements of the rash at times when you feel less panicked, use this as a cue. Believe me, a rash that improves when you are less stressed should seem obvious at that point what it is caused by. But even if it doesn't improve when you feel calm, you shouldn't therefore think to yourself "oh but it's not getting better - it must be cancer then". Anxiety works at the unconscious level. Meaning you could feel fine but you are actually not. In which case your symptoms will persist.

Keep me updated about how you feel.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ksteph

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:30:12 PM »
Mine also has redness around the main bump on my arm, it would definitely make sense if it was stress related. I have a very busy and stressful week coming up so for it to flare up right now makes sense. Thank you for your posts, it's probably not eczema because it really doesn't itch. Anxiety can have womanly effects on your body, it's amazing. I am feeling a lot better about it and will try not to worry or google! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 12:26:13 AM »
Out of curiosity, realistically how much is it raised above your skin? You refer to it as a "bump" and I am curious as to how you are defining that because I would describe my patch as "slightly raised" as apposed to "bump".
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ksteph

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 12:31:00 AM »
It's "slightly raised", maybe I shouldn't have said bump, patch or spot would describe it better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 12:40:43 AM »
Oh ok. If it was a bump protruding more than 0.25mm, then I would probably get it checked out just to be safe. But don't let this panic you. If it is just slightly raised, then yeah it is very likely due to stress/anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 08:07:15 AM »
Just a thought......  I'm allergic to anti bacterial soaps and if I don't rinse well, I break out.  The wrist is an area I usually don't do a good job on rinsing.  Also, do you wear jewelry? Maybe you've developed an allergy to nickle.  I can't wear a watch because the clasp or back breaks me out in a rash just like you've described.  Also, bandaids. A bandaid or regular tape will leave me with an itchy rash for up to a week!  I'm allergic to wool and if I wear a wool sweater and my undergarment (think turtleneck) slips up on my wrist or down on my neck, I break out.

Skin cancers don't come and go like that.  Sounds much more like dermatitis (which means inflamed skin) from something you're getting in to or touching.  Pay attention to the spot.  Do you rest that spot on your desk when you type? Is the desk cleaned with a strong cleanser? 

My husband had a basal cell carcinoma (red patch) on his arm.  No itch and it slowly got larger but never went away.  Laura Bush had an SCC on her leg but it looked like a mosquito bite that never went away and then started to get larger. No itch.

I'm betting on allergens!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ksteph

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 10:57:23 PM »
Thank you for your replies, definitely makes me feel better. I've chalked it up to dry skin/stress. I rubbed a little vitamin e oil on it last night and today it looks a lot better! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 01:32:33 AM »
Hi.

Just came and checked back here to ask how is it now? And not only that, more importantly, how are you feeling right now?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ksteph

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 06:32:10 PM »
All better! :) Thanks for checking. You can still kind of see it, I really think it is either dry skin or stress related. Thanks again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 14
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »
Skin cancer doesn't come and go - it would start small and grow and grow and grow and get worse and worse.    I don't know what you have, but it's definitely NOT cancer.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: