Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Ugh. Anybody know anything about oral cancer?  (Read 325 times)

Offline NCgirl

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ugh. Anybody know anything about oral cancer?
« on: January 19, 2014, 05:39:28 PM »
For about a week, it has been sore when I chew on my top right side.  It kinda feels like its my gum on the side right next to a tooth in the back. I think I've pinpointed where it's coming from. It looks like there might be a dark spot on the tooth where it feels sore. Just hard to see back there. I flossed back there the other day and there was some bleeding. The good thing is my six-month checkup is Tuesday. I just keep having these thoughts that it could be oral cancer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ugh. Anybody know anything about oral cancer?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 06:41:32 PM »
Perhaps a cavity?    Do you regularly go for 6 month cleanings?  If so, they always do an oral cancer screening when you get your cleaning.  As for the bleeding, that happens to me at times when I floss, and even sometimes when I brush. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 07:33:37 PM »
For about a week, it has been sore when I chew on my top right side.  It kinda feels like its my gum on the side right next to a tooth in the back. I think I've pinpointed where it's coming from. It looks like there might be a dark spot on the tooth where it feels sore. Just hard to see back there. I flossed back there the other day and there was some bleeding. The good thing is my six-month checkup is Tuesday. I just keep having these thoughts that it could be oral cancer.

Dark spot ON the tooth?  Cavity.   Dark spot on the gum?  You could be getting an abscess.   So either way it's a good thing you are going to a dentist because those things only get worse and you'll end up losing the tooth (always good to try to save your teeth!) And your dentist will put your mind at ease about cancer because dentists see it all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NCgirl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 07:38:57 PM »
Definitely a thought I also had. And yes, I go to all my six-month checkups. Better a cavity than cancer!  Since I've pinpointed the area, that's where it bleeds. I dunno. One conforting thing I read is that oral cancer isn't the most common on your gums near your teeth. 

The thing is, I have discoloration on my teeth, so I've dark spots before that weren't decay. But like I said, it's difficult for me to see back there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NCgirl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 07:40:12 PM »
Excuse the typos. Dang, that was bad.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: