Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: new to zoloft  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: new to zoloft
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »
I was on Zoloft and I didn't love or hate it but I was very jittery in the beginning. Eventually that faded. Once it does. Take it at night bc it might make you drowsy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline somaj

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 10:04:09 AM »
Day 5 of the 12.5 mg dose. I definitely feel an uptick in my anxiety. I felt it yesterday around 4pm as well, but today its happening in the morning.  I took 1/2 of a .25mg xanax which only helped a little. Hoping this does not get worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 10:16:30 AM »
When I started on Zoloft I used .25mg Xanax as needed for the start up anxiety and am now tapering off but still occasionally need a half Xanax, .125 mg, for (very rare) flare ups.  I stayed on just 50mg of Zoloft because I am a cheap date and very sensitive to meds so this dose is actually therapeutic for me and is doing a good job of managing my symptoms.  I have not noticed any weight gain but then I am very active because of my profession (horse trainer).  Hang in there all!
Bookmark and Share

Offline somaj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 10:36:51 AM »
So when you move up to larger dose, do the side effects start all over? Or are they just less pronounced?
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 04:12:07 PM »
I've only done one jump in dose (from 25mg to 50mg after 10 days) and the side effects during the jump were basically the same as when I first started the Setraline in the first place. So for me, an increase in dose made me feel like I was at square one again. Thankfully it didn't last forever.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 04:13:55 PM »
So when you move up to larger dose, do the side effects start all over? Or are they just less pronounced?

Yes, they may return, but their severity can go either way, especially at the lower doses. They do tend to become less severe at higher doses, though this isn't a guarantee.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 09:06:10 PM »

You'll probably get different responses to this type of question, because everyone reacts differently on antidepressant medication based on their body's adjustment.  I always took 12.5mg jumps when I started on Zoloft.  I was on 12.5mg for 4 days, and then moved up to 25 at the fifth day.  I went up to 37.5 in another five days,and then stayed at 50 mg (the initial starting dose of Zoloft (Setraline) for about two/three  weeks, before I started to move up again.

For me, the side effects weren't that heavy when I did smaller jumps.  I did do a 25mg jump about a weekend ago, and I've been on Setraline for many months, however I luckily did the jump over the weekend.  I could not help but sleep after that jump.  I just zonked all weekend, regardless of being on the med for a long time, since my body still had to adjust to the side effects.  Fortunately, I don't get severe side effects on Zoloft (Setraline), other than heavy sleep, GI tract diarrhea (which tends to goes away) and issues with libido, however my doctor and I are working on fixing the libido.  It also tends to die down after a few weeks, and unless you do another jump, you may not notice it again.  Btw, it's also a good idea to do a jump on the weekend, rather than a work day, so you can anticipate side effects.

I will tell you to take smaller jumps, because in my experience, it's been better to take 12.5mg jumps than 25mg.   The users who have the most difficulty in the beginning on an antidepressant, and who seek out comfort on this Board ---  they tend to start too high, (like Zoloft at 50mg and 100mg in another week), and normally tend too need approval from others that they'll be OK.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline snowmanrn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 10:02:25 PM »
Let me first say that Zoloft was the best SSRI I tried. I also tried the minimal dose and felt very euphoric and "cracked" out the first day and couldn't sleep. The next day I turned into a pill cutter. I just took pieces of the pill for the first few days and gradually worked up to the full dose. Sub-clinical dosing can mess with your neurotransmitters though and make you feel like hell as well. I would say stick it out though because you WILL start to feel better. Sometimes takes weeks. I finally quit SSRI's because I couldn't sleep on them but if I could I think they are the best psych drugs out there.

Doctors write prescriptions based on what they read in books. Every person responds differently so the correct dose FOR YOU may be different than what they throw at you.

Hope this helps and the Zoloft works for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline somaj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 04:31:12 PM »
Day 6 has been better. Took 1/2 a .25 xanax in the morning as a precaution but I don't think I needed it. I did feel a bit overly tired around noon and actually took a nap for lunch . I just have felt a bit wound up this afternoon, but nothing I cannot handle. Still on the 12.5 dose and will stay there through next week.
Bookmark and Share

Offline somaj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 09:35:24 AM »
Day 8 of the 12.5 mg dose. Anxiety has gotten worse especially shortly after taking the dose. Hoping this week it gets better as I am in the 2nd week. Going to up the dose to 25mg at the end of the week so I hop it calms down a little. Makes work really difficult.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything