Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: new to zoloft  (Read 1318 times)

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: new to zoloft
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 04:13:55 PM »
So when you move up to larger dose, do the side effects start all over? Or are they just less pronounced?

Yes, they may return, but their severity can go either way, especially at the lower doses. They do tend to become less severe at higher doses, though this isn't a guarantee.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 09:06:10 PM »
So when you move up to larger dose, do the side effects start all over? Or are they just less pronounced?

You'll probably get different responses to this type of question, because everyone reacts differently on antidepressant medication based on their body's adjustment.  I always took 12.5mg jumps when I started on Zoloft.  I was on 12.5mg for 4 days, and then moved up to 25 at the fifth day.  I went up to 37.5 in another five days,and then stayed at 50 mg (the initial starting dose of Zoloft (Setraline) for about two/three  weeks, before I started to move up again.

For me, the side effects weren't that heavy when I did smaller jumps.  I did do a 25mg jump about a weekend ago, and I've been on Setraline for many months, however I luckily did the jump over the weekend.  I could not help but sleep after that jump.  I just zonked all weekend, regardless of being on the med for a long time, since my body still had to adjust to the side effects.  Fortunately, I don't get severe side effects on Zoloft (Setraline), other than heavy sleep, GI tract diarrhea (which tends to goes away) and issues with libido, however my doctor and I are working on fixing the libido.  It also tends to die down after a few weeks, and unless you do another jump, you may not notice it again.  Btw, it's also a good idea to do a jump on the weekend, rather than a work day, so you can anticipate side effects.

I will tell you to take smaller jumps, because in my experience, it's been better to take 12.5mg jumps than 25mg.   The users who have the most difficulty in the beginning on an antidepressant, and who seek out comfort on this Board ---  they tend to start too high, (like Zoloft at 50mg and 100mg in another week), and normally tend too need approval from others that they'll be OK.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline snowmanrn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 10:02:25 PM »
Let me first say that Zoloft was the best SSRI I tried. I also tried the minimal dose and felt very euphoric and "cracked" out the first day and couldn't sleep. The next day I turned into a pill cutter. I just took pieces of the pill for the first few days and gradually worked up to the full dose. Sub-clinical dosing can mess with your neurotransmitters though and make you feel like hell as well. I would say stick it out though because you WILL start to feel better. Sometimes takes weeks. I finally quit SSRI's because I couldn't sleep on them but if I could I think they are the best psych drugs out there.

Doctors write prescriptions based on what they read in books. Every person responds differently so the correct dose FOR YOU may be different than what they throw at you.

Hope this helps and the Zoloft works for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline somaj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 04:31:12 PM »
Day 6 has been better. Took 1/2 a .25 xanax in the morning as a precaution but I don't think I needed it. I did feel a bit overly tired around noon and actually took a nap for lunch . I just have felt a bit wound up this afternoon, but nothing I cannot handle. Still on the 12.5 dose and will stay there through next week.
Bookmark and Share

Offline somaj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 09:35:24 AM »
Day 8 of the 12.5 mg dose. Anxiety has gotten worse especially shortly after taking the dose. Hoping this week it gets better as I am in the 2nd week. Going to up the dose to 25mg at the end of the week so I hop it calms down a little. Makes work really difficult.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 06:44:01 PM »
Anxiety has gotten worse especially shortly after taking the dose.

Zoloft is slow to metabolize taking 4.5 to 8.5 hours for plasma levels to peak after taking a dose, so I think the heightened anxiety is more a case of mind over med.

PS: you could try splitting to dose taking half morning and night when you go up to 25mg/day. It might help smooth out any peaks and troughs.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Doxie Lover

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Hanging In
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 10:16:25 PM »
I'm on 150 mg, but I noticed that I am very, very tired.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I've been on this dosage (up from 100 mg) for only 2 weeks, so I am hoping the side effect of tiredness will dissipate. 
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 10:35:38 PM »
I'm on 150 mg, but I noticed that I am very, very tired.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I've been on this dosage (up from 100 mg) for only 2 weeks, so I am hoping the side effect of tiredness will dissipate.

It usually does, though, as with all things about antidepressants, this isn't a guarantee.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Doxie Lover

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Hanging In
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 10:06:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply Ian...guess I'll just have to wait and see...  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Prodigy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »
Hello all,
Into my second day of Zoloft @25mg  for anxiety. I have taken it at about 8am . I feel okay during the day, sort of keyed up like I had to much caffeine. Towards the evening, especially this evening, I have felt a "sick" feeling and have had diarrhea all day. I know these are side effects and was curious as to if there are any counter measures people have tried successfully . Does it get worse?

Thanks

I wish you the best of luck. I hope you keep us updated with your progress in this thread. I've told myself I would never take medication again,  but I am considering trying Zoloft because my anxiety has gotten out of control lately.

Cheers.
Bookmark and Share

Offline somaj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »
Day 12 of the 12.5 dose. I think most of the side effects have passed. Feel a little spacey but not too bad. Going to 25mg on Saturday, hopefully it will go smoothly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline somaj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 04:58:49 PM »
Oh, there was one thing I noticed.....I have found myself sometimes clenching my back teeth at times. I just sometimes notice I'm doing it for no reason.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Teran

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 05:08:07 PM »
The teeth clenching happened to me when I would change my dosing. It was not much of an issue, and went away in a few weeks. I hear that it is quite common with Zoloft and usually goes away.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 06:32:52 PM »
I have found myself sometimes clenching my back teeth at times.

All the SSRIs have their own peculiarities. With Lexapro it's the yawn, with Zoloft it's teeth clenching/grinding and skin effects, sweating, burning sensations, etc, though these can all occur with other SSRIs, just not as often. It will likely resolve after a few weeks, but it persists for some. :(

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline somaj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 03:15:43 PM »
So its day 17 Zoloft. I finished my 2 weeks at a 12.5mg dose and started on 25mg this past Saturday. No stomach issues and only a light "sick" feeling in the evening. In the morning (since starting the 25mg)  I have felt really keyed up , like I have had too much caffeine, but its nothing I cannot manage. Hopefully, the side effects stay where they are at now which is not that bad.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: