Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: new to zoloft  (Read 1542 times)

Offline somaj

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
new to zoloft
« on: January 19, 2014, 05:31:54 PM »
Hello all,
Into my second day of Zoloft @25mg  for anxiety. I have taken it at about 8am . I feel okay during the day, sort of keyed up like I had to much caffeine. Towards the evening, especially this evening, I have felt a "sick" feeling and have had diarrhea all day. I know these are side effects and was curious as to if there are any counter measures people have tried successfully . Does it get worse?

Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: new to zoloft
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 05:55:41 PM »
Hello all,
Into my second day of Zoloft @25mg  for anxiety. I have taken it at about 8am . I feel okay during the day, sort of keyed up like I had to much caffeine. Towards the evening, especially this evening, I have felt a "sick" feeling and have had diarrhea all day. I know these are side effects and was curious as to if there are any counter measures people have tried successfully . Does it get worse?

Thanks

If I were you, starting tomorrow, I would start at 12.5 which is half the 25mg pill you take.  Preferably use a pill cutter which you can buy at any drug store for around $3.00.   Halving the 25 pill by hand is less accurate as halving by a cutter or pill knife.  You would need to inform your doctor about the dosage shift to a lower dose, due to side effects.

Dropping the dose, temporarily, may not guarantee a complete reduction in side effects,  but for now, they won't feel as pronounced.  There is debate about where a user should first start.  Since the therapeutic dose at the minimum is 50,  some say get there as soon as possible, whether at 25 or even 50. However I read in the Intro forum that you could not tolerate Celexa well, especially not at 20, and it was hard at 5.  Your body is very sensitive to antidepressants, since others may not have any problems at these doses,  however you have to work with what your body will handle.

Yes, the side effects do tend to fade away after a few weeks, but everyone is different.  If you read further down the forum,  Lynn C wrote her adaptation past the side effects took 11 weeks, but she persisted .

When should you go up to 25, if you were to drop to 12.5?   I think you should stay at 12.5 for a week, given you gave up on Celexa at 5mg after two days.

Discuss your medication issues with your doctor.   If you drop to 12.5 tomorrow, immediately call your doctor's answering service to inform him and to discuss the side effects.
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline somaj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I do feel a bit better than I did on the Celexa, not as weird feeling as the Celexa. I will talk to my doctor on Tuesday about lowering the dose.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 06:39:10 PM »
I also think it would be a smart move to go to 12.5mg Zoloft. Ur body will adjust to it much easier. Let us know how ur doing whatever u decide!
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 08:35:57 AM »
When I started Zoloft (25mg for a week then up to 50mg) I had every side effect in the book but they all went away after about three weeks.  I had never been on meds for anxiety before and those three weeks were not fun but I am very glad I stuck it out.  Did your doc give you a benzo to help deal with any increased anxiety you might have as a start up side effect?  I had Xanax to use as needed and it did a very good job of managing the occasional flare ups.  Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 04:02:41 PM »
StressedJumper, r u still on xanax or did u taper? did u stick with 50mg zoloft or go up? how is it for ur anxiety? any weight gain? thanks!
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline Doxie Lover

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Hanging In
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 05:40:29 PM »
I agree with the post that suggests you take a little less Zoloft...check with your doc though.  I switched to Zoloft from Lexapro only because medical care wouldn't pay for Lexapro and there's little or no difference for me between the two.  I am on 150 mg....yes...a lot.  But I recently increased the dose because I was still getting massive anxiety. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline somaj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 06:17:24 PM »
Went ahead and cut the Zoloft in half of a half  :P . Even with a pill cutter seems a bit hard to get it exact but I'm sure its round 12 mg . I did feel better this evening and the stomach issues have gotten better today. I guess the only issue with taking a smaller dose is it is going to take longer to start having an effect. But it seems better to ease into this stuff. Just hope it helps with the "brain fog".
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 06:55:46 PM »
Went ahead and cut the Zoloft in half of a half  :P . Even with a pill cutter seems a bit hard to get it exact but I'm sure its round 12 mg . I did feel better this evening and the stomach issues have gotten better today. I guess the only issue with taking a smaller dose is it is going to take longer to start having an effect. But it seems better to ease into this stuff. Just hope it helps with the "brain fog".

Yes, for me, slower titration on an antidepressant (such as Zoloft) parallels the 'Tortoise and the Hare' fable. For some, slower steps are needed in order to get to the finish line, rather than running there with huge steps in the beginning.   The important issue is to get to the finish line, regardless.

Who knew an old childhood classic could relate with taking Zoloft????!!!!!!  :)

Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline somaj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 07:47:05 PM »

Yes, for me, slower titration on an antidepressant (such as Zoloft) parallels the 'Tortoise and the Hare' fable. For some, slower steps are needed in order to get to the finish line, rather than running there with huge steps in the beginning.   The important issue is to get to the finish line, regardless.

Who knew an old childhood classic could relate with taking Zoloft????!!!!!!  :)

I like that. Well put.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 10:20:04 PM »
I was on Zoloft and I didn't love or hate it but I was very jittery in the beginning. Eventually that faded. Once it does. Take it at night bc it might make you drowsy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline somaj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 10:04:09 AM »
Day 5 of the 12.5 mg dose. I definitely feel an uptick in my anxiety. I felt it yesterday around 4pm as well, but today its happening in the morning.  I took 1/2 of a .25mg xanax which only helped a little. Hoping this does not get worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 10:16:30 AM »
When I started on Zoloft I used .25mg Xanax as needed for the start up anxiety and am now tapering off but still occasionally need a half Xanax, .125 mg, for (very rare) flare ups.  I stayed on just 50mg of Zoloft because I am a cheap date and very sensitive to meds so this dose is actually therapeutic for me and is doing a good job of managing my symptoms.  I have not noticed any weight gain but then I am very active because of my profession (horse trainer).  Hang in there all!
Bookmark and Share

Offline somaj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 10:36:51 AM »
So when you move up to larger dose, do the side effects start all over? Or are they just less pronounced?
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 04:12:07 PM »
I've only done one jump in dose (from 25mg to 50mg after 10 days) and the side effects during the jump were basically the same as when I first started the Setraline in the first place. So for me, an increase in dose made me feel like I was at square one again. Thankfully it didn't last forever.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: