Every once in a while I tend to fixate on certain diseases or bad things that can happen and recently its been carbon monoxide poisoning. I feel embarrassed to admit this situation but I wont be able to get over it without some reassurance. I decided to get a CO detector that has an alarm as well as a digital co level read out. Well I wanted to make sure it actually works by testing it with my truck in the garage while the garage door was open. I started the truck and held the meter by the tail pipe for just a few seconds. I planned on just getting a quick reading to ensure the meter was working and then get out of there fast, but the meter wasn't showing anything right away. 10 -15 seconds went by and all of the sudden the meter showed 35 ppm and climbing. I ran to shut off the truck, exited the garage and waited outside for it to completely air out.
From researching CO levels this reading seemed too low to be accurate for car exhaust so I decided to come back and try the test again.
This time I set a lawn chair with the meter on it near the tail pipe so I would not have to be inside the garage while I gave it a longer second test. I proceeded to start the engine and ran out of the garage. I would say no more than 30 seconds went by until I checked the levels on the co meter which showed it maxed out 999 ppm. I immediately said OH ****, shut the truck off and ran outside to fresh air.
Those two tests were done last night. Both times the high levels of CO did not sound the alarm and I started to wonder if it was working so today I decided to try a few more times. I basically ran through the sequence three more times with starting the truck, waiting outside as I counted 30 seconds, holding my breath to run in read the meter, shut the truck off and run outside. The meter showed various levels of CO but the alarm never sounded.
I have no idea if these short exposures were enough to poison me but I am really worried now. In hindsight I know I shouldn't have done this but I needed to check the meter and was as cautious as possible while doing it. The garage is actually part of a commercial fabrication shop so it is not attached to a house for the fumes to have spread in. While doing the tests today I was running the shop's two high volume exhaust fans with the garage open but for the tests last night I just had the 16 foot garage door open. I waited outside 10 feet from the garage door during every test. The only times I was exposed to co was when I ran in to read the meter and shut the truck off.
I stayed up all last night and spent most of today reading about carbon monoxide on the internet. I'm terrified of long term brain damage in general from carbon monoxide. I didnt have any symptoms of co poisoning at the time of being exposed like headache, dizziness or anything. Of course having health anxiety and reading about symptoms, tonight I'm feeling a liquidy discomfort sensation in my chest and throat. I cough occasionally as it itches. I sneezed a couple times and am slowly irrationally becoming convinced the liquidy discomfort in my chest is an angina attack from carbon monoxide poisoning. When I breathe in there is no increase in discomfort. It feels kinda like when you choke on your spit or when drinking water goes down the wrong way. What do you think will I be ok? If this were co poisoning would I have felt obvious symptoms right away?