Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: scared to death of rabies  (Read 311 times)

Offline shanny63

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
scared to death of rabies
« on: January 19, 2014, 02:04:47 AM »
ok i posted a week or so ago...i got scratched on the leg with a stick at my sons outdoor wedding....after the wedding some people told me there were bats out there..im terrified of bats....now I'm scared...what if a bat spat or pooled or peed on the stick that scratched me.....im terrified...the rabies virus wouldn't live that long outside the body would it??? please i know I'm being stupid and hysterical but I'm scared..i can't talk to anyone, people think I'm crazy.... :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: scared to death of rabies
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 03:16:18 AM »
 :action-smiley-065:
Non-bite exposures to rabies are very rare.
Off to a good start!  ;D
Transmission of rabies virus usually begins when infected saliva of a host is passed to an uninfected animal. The most common mode of rabies virus transmission is through the bite and virus-containing saliva of an infected host.
Well, sticks don't have saliva, and they generally don't bite. So, that's good news. I haven't really seen a bat drool all over a stick or spit ever, either. So, that's a plus.
Scratches, abrasions, open wounds, or mucous membranes contaminated with saliva or other potentially infectious material (such as brain tissue) from a rabid animal constitute non-bite exposures.
Again, bat saliva? No. Also don't think the bats would rub their brain tissue all over the stick either. Poo or pee is much more likely for a bat to get on a stick, so let's move on and consider if that is possible.
Other contact, such as petting a rabid animal or contact with the blood, urine or feces of a rabid animal, does not constitute an exposure.
So there you have it, from the CDC - poo and pee don't count as an exposure AT ALL. Now, let's say a bat did somehow get saliva on the stick (which honestly isn't even something we should even consider because it doesn't happen, but for the hypotheticals and peace of mind...)
SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: This virus does not survive well outside its host as it is susceptible to sunlight and desiccation.
So, exposure to sunlight and air kill it? I'd think a stick on the ground gets A LOT of that.  :happy0151:
Typically speaking, the rabies virus will be rendered inactive once outside of the host body (and host body material such as saliva) for a matter of seconds.
Great! So, did you see a bat spit on the stick and then jab yourself with it? If not, then you're good to go.

Congrats, you don't have rabies! Rest easy and enjoy your life.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline shanny63

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 06:25:14 PM »
thank you so much for your reply...i have printed it off and stuck it in my bag and on my fridge...i know I'm being silly...but u know how health anxiety is...thank u for taking the time to reply to me....hugs to u...shanny
 :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 08:50:42 PM »
Glad that I could help! I hope your printouts serve you well.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Bunsen112

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 12:16:47 AM »
Steph --

Your response to Shanny was simultaneously one of the most compassionate and one of the FUNNIEST I have ever read on AZ. Well done!
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypochondrius

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 08:36:44 AM »
You would already be dead if you were infected by rabies. If you are concerned about rabies get a tetanus shot if you haven't had one in the last ten years.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shanny63

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 05:23:01 PM »
had a tetanus shot a couple of years ok..so I'm ok... :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: