Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Antidepressant effects first dose?  (Read 276 times)

Offline TarheelBabe1980

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Antidepressant effects first dose?
« on: January 18, 2014, 06:30:18 PM »
This HAS to be placebo because it seems impossible. How come sometimes when i start an antidep I feel immediately different? For instance, today was first dose of Cymbalta (Duloxetine) 20mg and I feel drunk and silly?!?! I think this happened the last two time periods in my life upon starting this drug. It isnt a bad feeling but I dont get why it would instantly cause so much laughter, slightly euphoric feelings?? Anyone?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Antidepressant effects first dose?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 09:41:39 PM »
This HAS to be placebo because it seems impossible.

I think it is placebo too. Sorry.

The antidepressant therapeutic effect comes from the new brain cells that these drugs promote, not the drug itself. Its most immediate effect is to increase serotonin activity which isn't the 'feel good' neurotransmitter of popular myth, but the cause of most side-effects.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline TarheelBabe1980

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:23:18 PM »
Well, 4 days later I am still racy, giddy, highly energetic, sometimes irritable (still on 20mg for 2 more weeks).  I have valium to counteract the start up anxiety but I still feel jacked up. Odd thing is, I kind of like most of these feelings...could this still be placebo by chance?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:03:14 PM »
.could this still be placebo by chance?

The energy boost could be from the med, about as many find Cymbalta energizing as report fatigue. This in turn could be driving some of the other stuff, but the placebo effect may be playing a part too.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline snowmanrn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 10:05:57 PM »
I don't agree it is a placebo. That is the way these drugs make some people feel at first. As long as you are feeling good and sleeping well and aren't acting like a maniac.
Bookmark and Share

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 09:57:22 AM »
Could be a side effects and not the ultimate therapeutic effect. The first couple of days I took zoloft I felt almost drunk. That faded fairly quickly, but I continued to experience increased energy from it, which sometimes expressed itself as nervous energy, sometimes giddiness. Might not hurt to put a call in to your doctor just so they are aware what's going on.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: