Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Trapped in Japan for a Week  (Read 124 times)

Offline ChocolateInsomnia

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Trapped in Japan for a Week
« on: January 18, 2014, 06:24:39 PM »
Hi, I'm ChocolateInsomnia, and I'm new to this forum. And here is my story:

My Mom and Stepfather have been planning a trip to Japan to celebrate my graduation for years. But the closer it got the more I started dreading it. Even though I told both of them several times I wasn't looking forward to it at all, they didn't listen, and I didn't fight too hard hoping I would enjoy it in the end. I was wrong.

Only upon boarding the long flight from Detroit to Tokyo did I realize I'd made a terrible mistake. Panic took over, and I cried through the entire flight. It didn't get any better when we reached our final destination of Osaka. After spending the first day trying to have fun in a local mall(one of my favorite places to be), I found that not even that helped. The impenetrable language barrier didn't help either.

Ever since, I've been holing myself up in my hotel room. And every time I look out the window I'm reminded how much I don't want to be here and have a panic attack. Anything can set me off crying! Even my Mom is sobbing, thinking it's all her fault that this is happening to me because she wouldn't listen, even though I keep telling her it's my fault for not putting up a better argument.

We've all checked several times, and there's no flights until this Saturday. I just don't think I can make it! I'm too afraid to leave the hotel, and I wish I could find other Americans to talk to. My despair keeps me up at night, I have no appetite, and my anxiety meds don't do a thing to help me cope during the day!

I just want to go home, but it' going to be a long week ahead of me. I wish there was something I could do to distract myself and have fun, but it seems impossible. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Trapped in Japan for a Week
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »
Ask yourself: What's the worst possible thing that would happen if you had a panic attack when you're out exploring things? Anxiety CANNOT physically harm you.
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 10:20:30 PM »
Thank you for the reply! I really do appreciate it:)

But the problem is that I'm still averse to even leaving my hotel room. My mom had to drag me out so I could see the snow(I've never seen it in person).

Although I agree that anxiety can't physically hurt you. But panic attacks are still the worst.

Thanks again for the reply! :D
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 06:15:03 PM »
Ask yourself: What's the worst possible thing that would happen if you had a panic attack when you're out exploring things? Anxiety CANNOT physically harm you.

You know what, I take back my last comment. I thought about what you said more, and then I went out and had a great time. It seems so simple now, but I guess I just needed to hear it(err read it)!

I can't thank you enough for giving me confidence! Anxiety really can't hurt me, and I'll try not to let it!:D
Bookmark and Share