Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lexapro: When will it start to work?  (Read 635 times)

Offline asterix

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lexapro: When will it start to work?
« on: January 18, 2014, 05:13:24 PM »
I started taking 10 mg Lexapro yesterday. When will it start to work? And when will the dreaded side effects begin?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lexapro: When will it start to work?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
I started taking 10 mg Lexapro yesterday. When will it start to work?

As with all antidepressants, some 3-12 weeks.

And when will the dreaded side effects begin?

They may not. Not everyone experiences them and for most they are relatively mild. Lexapro and its parent compound citalopram (Celexa) usually are the best tolerated SSRIs.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline LynnC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:20:17 PM »
Asterix I'm finally feeling better and it took me 11 weeks. Yes, it was a very long time but today was the first day that I felt normal again. It's not an overnight fix so don't give up. I think Im probably in the minority on it taking 11 weeks but after feeling the way I did for so long, I'm grateful for today.
Bookmark and Share

Offline asterix

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 12:28:41 AM »
I have diarrhea now. It's happening, isn't it? The side effects are beginning.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 05:59:00 AM »
I have diarrhea now. It's happening, isn't it? The side effects are beginning.

In the absence of other potential causes, probably. Diarrhea tends to be relatively short-lived. The gut has its own nervous system which uses nearly 50 times as much serotonin as the brain and SSRIs can sometimes disrupt it for a while. Eating high fibre foods will help.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline asterix

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 11:56:21 AM »

[/quote]

Eating high fibre foods will help.

[/quote]

That is unexpected advice. I would have thought that eating low-fiber foods, like plain white rice, would help. Isn't that what is normally recommended for an episode of diarrhea?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »
I would have thought that eating low-fiber foods, like plain white rice, would help. Isn't that what is normally recommended for an episode of diarrhea?

It depends on which *'expert' you listen too. Fibre will bulk up stools reducing 'accidents.' This isn't normal diarrhea caused by bugs or intestinal inflammation, but the gut temporarily not processing food effectively so it doesn't need coddling/soothing. It is more about managing the problems it causes than fixing it. But if you prefer the low fibre route then go for it.

* http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/features/diarrhea-diet-facts-about-fiber

* http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/fiber

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dh1972

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 05:37:14 PM »
Ian,

I am on day 4 of Lexapro.  I have had acid indigestion problems before starting it, but they have worsened considerably the last couple of days.  I started at 2 - 2.5 mg on Thurs and to about 4 to 4.5 mg today (slowly increasing).  Will this worsened symptom go away or likely to stay?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 06:55:07 PM »
I started at 2 - 2.5 mg on Thurs and to about 4 to 4.5 mg today (slowly increasing).  Will this worsened symptom go away or likely to stay?

It usually goes away after a couple of weeks, however, it tends to return each time the dose is increased so you may not see an improvement until a few weeks after you reach and maintain the target dose.

Given you have a preexisting GI issue I suggest you discuss the current problem with your doctor as there may be ways of limiting the impact.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dh1972

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 07:44:43 PM »
He's out of town this week, but I might take a visit to my regular doctor about it.  I do take it with food each day if that helps at all.  My current dosage is so low, but I guess that is still enough to impact?
Bookmark and Share

Offline asterix

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 08:32:55 PM »
Fibre will bulk up stools reducing 'accidents.'

Well, I could see how "accidents" might happen. This doesn't seem like the usual case of diarrhea. I hope this doesn't last long. I will go eat an apple now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 10:12:27 PM »
He's out of town this week, but I might take a visit to my regular doctor about it.

S/he is probably best placed to advise you.

I do take it with food each day if that helps at all.

The case for taking it with food is not as clearcut as with other SSRIs such as Zoloft where absorption rates differ depending on how they are taken. Therefore, it may not make much difference, but any positive effect is more likely to come from taking it with food rather than on an empty stomach.

My current dosage is so low, but I guess that is still enough to impact?

It seems so, possibly because of the preexisting problem. Lexapro and Celexa are less likely to affect the gut than other SSRIs, but if your gut is sensitive to SSRIs then there will probably still be a reaction.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline beast216

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »
Guys

I am at 1 month exactly....things are really good for me.  I can't be 100% sure it is the medication only...but I have to imagine it is really starting to work well.

That being said...the sexual side effects for men are very real and I had a lot of difficulty with reflux and nausea....starting to subside finally.
Bookmark and Share

Online BuzzBee1

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 10:38:47 AM »
It took four full weeks for my body to adjust to Lexapro, and my side effects were brutal......nausea, couldn't sleep, couldn't eat....and other symptoms as well.  But, once I made it past that, the effects were amazing!!  I've often said Lexapro saved my life, and it's true.

Hang in there!!  I know it's hard, but please give it a chance to work.  I almost quit taking mine after a few days because i felt so bad, but a friend begged me to continue, and I did.  Best decision ever.

Good luck to you all!

Buzzy
Bookmark and Share

Offline dh1972

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 02:18:02 PM »
He's out of town this week, but I might take a visit to my regular doctor about it.

S/he is probably best placed to advise you.

I do take it with food each day if that helps at all.

The case for taking it with food is not as clearcut as with other SSRIs such as Zoloft where absorption rates differ depending on how they are taken. Therefore, it may not make much difference, but any positive effect is more likely to come from taking it with food rather than on an empty stomach.

My current dosage is so low, but I guess that is still enough to impact?

It seems so, possibly because of the preexisting problem. Lexapro and Celexa are less likely to affect the gut than other SSRIs, but if your gut is sensitive to SSRIs then there will probably still be a reaction.

Ian

Went to general Dr. today.  He kind of left it up to me, but I decided to stop the Lexapro for now and see what happens especially since I have only been taking small doses for the last 4 days.  He also put me on Protonix which I briefly used a while back and found it more effective than the Prilosec I have been taking.  He also said something to the effect that Prilosec can increase the Lexapro concentration or something?  So, I will see what will happen with my stomach.

Are there non-SSRIs that won't effect stomach as much?
Bookmark and Share