Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New to forum and severe health anxiety  (Read 168 times)

Offline zaft

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New to forum and severe health anxiety
« on: January 18, 2014, 12:58:54 PM »
Hi everyone,
I've been browsing these forums since my general anxiety disorder started about a month ago. I started taking Prozac during a miserable high school experience. After I got married 13 years ago, I started having anxiety attacks when I couldn't get a hold of my family. My doctor at the time switched me to Paxil and it worked pretty good for about 10 years, so much that I quit cold turkey to see if I needed it anymore. That was a mistake as I suffered through hopelessly sad thoughts about my three girls growing up and how life was slipping away. Back on the Paxil and I was pretty much OK until this past fall.

Lately my marriage has been a bit rocky as my wife seems demanding and doesn't really understand my mental health issues nor does she care to try. My new job at a small company the past two and a half years has been difficult and unfulfilling with a boss who offered me insurance when I took the job then told me I must have misunderstood her, canceled bi-weekly work-from-home days, cut lunch hours in half and prefers all employees keep silent at the office. My wife had back surgery two summers ago and the poor insurance I was able to buy cost us $7,500 in additional medical costs.

Earlier in the summer I had a week where I thought I was having a heart attack or dying of heart disease but the EKG came out normal. Then this fall I started experiencing daily headaches for about two months. I assumed it was a brain tumor but two doctos told me I didn't show any neurological symptoms. I started seeing a therapist an she recommended switching from Paxil to Celexa. As I weaned off the Paxil (and continued therapy) my headaches slowed down but my anxiety ratcheted up something awful. I began to feel tense and jittery all day every day, nervous, shaking and sore. Each new pain was a symptom of a deadly disease: brain tumors again, stomachaches were stomach cancer, my lipomas were liposarcomas, etc. I began to google constantly and convince myself something was seriously wrong. I started to experience panic attacks, jolt out of my sleep, and lose interest in things I used to enjoy. As I was weaning on the Celexa I decided I couldn't take it anymore and immediately switched back to my full dose of Paxil a couple of weeks ago (40 mg).

My newest concern -- and the one that's been bothering me the most is Parkinson's disease. My symptoms include numb hands and sore forearms when I wake up in the morning, feeling jittery like I'm shaking inside and a sore neck. I google and watch videos at work and home and give myself neurological tests. I watch my hand at rest constantly looking for twitches and saw one during a morning I was freaking myself out. I saw a new doctor who told me I didn't exhibit any symptoms of PD but she's not a neurologist so I don't feel any better. She upped my Paxil to 60 mg and gave me Xanax as needed. I can't see a psychiatrist to manage my meds as the dozen I called aren't accepting new patients. I'm so scared all the time and asse all my classic anxiety symptoms are PD. unfortunately that's where I'm at right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BuzzBee1

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New to forum and severe health anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:35:55 PM »
Hi zaft,

Welcome to the forum.  You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Zaft, anxiety is awful, for sure.  It sounds like you have had to deal with a lot of stress, so there's no wonder you are anxious.  It also sounds like you have Health Anxiety (HA), which can cause symptoms that will make you believe you have a serious medical condition.  And, it's always something.....if you can release one fear, another will pop up in its place.  There are many people here who struggle with the same kind of issues, so I'm sure you'll find help and support here.

Good luck to you, and again, welcome to AZ.

Buzzy
Bookmark and Share

Offline nevertoolate

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New to forum and severe health anxiety
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 09:39:22 PM »
Hi,

I am also new here and have (what I believe to be) health anxiety. It feels all consuming, and I too have a spouse who is kind but doesn't quite get it. I am here from a place of empathy, as I yo have been worried about a variety of gravely serious health problems for weeks.

I think there is an awesome link on the Health Anxiety/Hypochondria page that helps explain an exhaustive list of symptoms that pop up and feel super alarming. Please look at this list. It may alleviate your Parkinson's fear...

Thinking of you,

Jen (nevertoolate)
Bookmark and Share