Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I'm sick of my hypochondria  (Read 215 times)

Offline mjayster

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
I'm sick of my hypochondria
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:25:25 PM »
Over the past year I've worried about my heart, having a dissecting artery that could lead to a stroke, and now I'm worried about pulmonary embolism from a DTV because I've noticed my left leg is bigger than my right. When is it going to stop. The thought of dying and especially in a painful way terrifies me. Especially when I think about the fact that we could soon be living in a time when technology makes us virtually immortal which makes dying even more frightening to me. I didn't get the h1n1 vaccine so I'm keeping my distance from virtually everyone since they say young healthy individuals can die from it. Sometimes I try to imagine what it is like to be in immense pain so I can come to terms with whatever possible way I could go. I think if most of us had a heart attack or pulmonary embolism when it  happens it would not actually be as horrifying as we imagined it to be, even if we ended up dying from it. When something happens to you that is major and perhaps even painful I think there is some degree of acceptance that it is happening to you, although when you imagine having a heart attack the fear is probably higher than if it were to happen. I read that hypochondriacs often handle actual serious illness better than other people,  perhaps because thy have spent their lives expecting it. I'm not sure there was a point to this post but I hope someone found it relatable.
Bookmark and Share
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronker

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I'm sick of my hypochondria
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:12:58 AM »
I've been where you are and can sympathize.  First, have you been checked out by a doctor and given an "all clear"?  If so that is GREAT news and you take comfort in that.

Second, don't kid yourself.  We will not be immortal - won't happen.  Remember Barney Clark?  In 1982 he was the world's first artificial heart recipient; he lived about 112 days (I think thats the number) with a mechanical heart.  It was touted as an amazing medical breakthrough which would usher in a world where faulty human hearts are removed and replaced with nice, efficient mechanical ones which would never fail.  That was over 30 years ago and I don't ever hear of anyone today being given an artificial heart.  Those of us with heart issues need to come to terms with the fact that, at some point, no matter what the cause of death, our hearts will stop beating and we will die.

You said that you read that hypochondriacs handle serious illness better than other people, that may be but we suck at handling the rest of life because we're so wrapped up in thinking everything is a serious illness.  We make the life we value so much miserable by constantly worrying that we'll die all the time.

You can only die once, but you get to live every single day.  Don't spend the living days worrying about that dying day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:00:36 AM »
Everyone handles the fear of sickness and death differently. I have never met a person
who wants to get sick, so you are not alone in your thoughts.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 11:09:10 AM »
Actually, I have read somewhere that preparing for the worst outcome doesn't influence at all on how you will deal with it if it becomes true. For example, if you fear some cancer, and you grt diagnosed, you won't cope with it any better than if you had never had fear of it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: