Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Helping Ourselves  (Read 101 times)

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Living in Fear of My Own Body
    • Poke This Member
Helping Ourselves
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:29:12 PM »
Hello everyone, I hope this post finds everybody well. I've been wanting to make a post for a little while about things that have helped me with my anxiety. We all know and I have posted many replies telling people that seeking professional help like counseling is a very good thing to do. It is nice to have something we can do for ourselves as well though in my opinion. Now don't think I'm saying I have found some miracle anxiety cure, because I haven't and there isn't one (as far as I know). I still have anxiety from time to time even while own my meds. I have had an anxious feeling the past two nights. I can usually attribute that to not taking my meds as regularly as I'm supposed to, so if your doc puts you on anxiety meds, make sure you take them like you are supposed to! I think a big thing with dealing with anxiety, especially when you are a hypochondriac like myself and others here, is to try and not dwell on the negative thoughts. This is a lot of the times easier said than done, but trying is better than not trying. I play computer games and sometimes find that playing them is good for taking my mind off of whatever I'm worried about, but I'm sure the same thing can be achieved with any hobby or interest you may have. Another thing that has helped me is looking up things like foods that help with anxiety. I honestly don't know how well they help on a scientific level, but it is nice to feel like I'm at least trying to help myself, and it takes my mind off of whatever I'm worried about. I also started taking vitamins (multi-vitamin, omega3 and vitamin d) which even if it's a placebo effect helped to make me feel better with my anxiety. If you feel your anxiety level rising, which I know I usually can when I'm starting to feel anxious, try your best to not let it grip you. I know with us hypochondriacs, we can go from feeling alright to freaking out about something just because we started feeling anxious and those bad thoughts invaded our mind. We think we are weak and powerless against these thoughts and our anxiety, but we are more powerful than we think. Take your focus off the anxiety and put it into something else. Another big thing for me is try to not seclude yourself in your house or in your bedroom just because you are having anxiety. I tend to do this because my house becomes my safe place of sorts, but in reality it doesn't do anything to help my anxiety. Get out with your friends and/or family, it can do wonders to take your mind off of things. Last time I was having bad anxiety, just driving my wife to work in the morning helped me feel better. It wasn't much but it was getting out of the house and doing something. Try to tell yourself when you start feeling anxious that you ARE fine, that NOTHING like you are worried about is wrong with you. We tend to spend a lot of time and money going to the doctor, when a lot of the time any relief provided by it is temporary because we start doubting it pretty quickly afterwards. We need to try and tell ourselves what the doctor has told us, that we are (physically) fine. We spend our time worrying about things that we have been told we don't have, and that we most likely will NEVER have. My most recent and still current worry is melanoma, simply because it's something I can't fully discredit, and because I have moles. Moles run in my family, but nobody in my family has had melanoma, and all of my aunts uncles and my mom are middle aged or older. I even have one aunt who used to go to the tanning bed all the time. I also don't get excess sun exposure and never go outside without a shirt on. The odds of me having it now, or getting it in my lifetime are extremely rare. I know this, but it doesn't stop my worry, because I am a hypochondriac just as most of us here are. It doesn't stop me from trying to remind myself of what I just typed though, and you should try to remind yourself of the same for whatever your worried about. Anyways, I'm sorry for the wall of text, but I've been wanting to post something like this for a while, and kind of got carried away. :-P I really hope you folks as well as myself are able to find lasting calm from this crappy anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Living in Fear of My Own Body
    • Poke This Member
Re: Helping Ourselves
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 01:23:15 PM »
It would seem I probably made this post too long.  :P Most folks probably glance at it and go the "TLDR" route.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: