Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Afraid to take my benzodiazepin .....  (Read 326 times)

Offline edosmonsterink

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Afraid to take my benzodiazepin .....
« on: January 17, 2014, 12:57:12 PM »
Ive been suffering with anxiety /panic disorder for 6 months now.  I finally couldn't take it anymore and got on serialize on December 30th.  Till now.  It's been 19 days and I feel horrible today more than ever.  I started off taking 25mg for the first week then 50mg up to today.  The first week was fine and now I've been getting a lot of side effects.  Dizziness, nausea,  upset stomach, chest pain, insomnia  and the biggest one is heightened Anxiety!  I get it all day and always when I wake up in the mornings.  Which throws me into a panic attack mostly everyday now.  I try and fight it off as much as possible without taking any benzo that I have.  I have hydroxyzine Pam 25mg (with is not a benzo)  and I have Xanadu (alprazolam) 0.5mg and Clonazepam 0.5mg and for the most part I Have been doing OK without them.  Today is a different story.  I feel terrible and I don't know if it's just from the zoloft side effects still,  or if I'm dying.  I'm over thinking everything and don't know if I should take the benzodiazepin Xanax or Clonazepam..... I hear nothing but bad addiction stories.  And I do not want to become dependent on yet another pill.  As my doctor is not comfortable prescribing me benzodiazepin medication.  She only gave me 10 Clonazepam 0.5mg.  And said to take half twice a day.  Use sparingly...... So what if it helps and I become dependent it and I only have 10 pills.  That's what is making me afraid.  And do I take my xanax after if I run out and still need them? ... Is mixing xanax and Clonazepam OK?  I just don't know,  please help.  Thank u in advance.  :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
Re: Afraid to take my benzodiazepin .....
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »
Hello, I avoided all those side effects by taking 12.5mg(1/2 of a 25mg sertraline) for 2 weeks, then went up to 25mg and stayed there. It worked at a low dose for me, but I also started .5mg klonopin at night when I started the sertraline. I took sertraline for 2 yrs, and tapered off. Now I still remain on .5mg klonopin and am doing great. I had extreme anxiety, panic, gad, which led to a psychotic depression. I wish drs would let anxiety pts start the ssris at very low doses. We cant handle all that serotonin flooding our bodies. Good luck to u.
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline insights

• Rec's: 91
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 04:47:48 PM »
I hear nothing but bad addiction stories.

Much of which is overblown.  You're already dependent on the small quantities of benzodiazepines which occur naturally in all foods. Everyone is.

So what if it helps and I become dependent it and I only have 10 pills

You won't become dependent from taking one dose, or ten. You'd need to take a benzodiazepine daily for at least a month before dependence becomes an issue. Clonazepam has a long half life so you may not need to take it every day.

And do I take my xanax after if I run out and still need them?

If you need to. Having anxiety attacks reinforces the anxiety disorder which is counter productive so taking a benzo may be the lesser of the two 'evils.'

Is mixing xanax and Clonazepam OK?

There is no problem with taking Xanax after the clonazepam runs out. Some people do take both, usually the Klonopin as the maintenance dose with Xanax as needed for breakthrough anxiety.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline edosmonsterink

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »

And do I take my xanax after if I run out and still need them?

If you need to. Having anxiety attacks reinforces the anxiety disorder which is counter productive so taking a benzo may be the lesser of the two 'evils.'

Thank you Ian for all your input on my situation. i will be taking my Clonazepam tonight  at 7 pm. to hopefully help me sleep. or do you recomend a better time?
also i did not understand what you ment in your response above. I am sorry if its clear but my mind is all messed up and i dont get it. lol
Again thank you for all your insight.

Eddie
Bookmark and Share

Offline Oscar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:55:23 PM »
I've been suffering from anxiety disorders all my life.  On one occasion I went to the psychiatrist and I was prescribed clonozepam and buspar.  I have not taken a single pill because in my own personal opinion they are addictive and only provide a temporary relief.  Not to mention the side effects.  I have learned to live with my symptoms, up to this point my anxiety has not killed me and thus I don't fear it anymore.  I do exercise a lot and this has helped with the fight or flight response.   I play basketball a lot too.  I avoid caffeine, alcohol or any other food that would make my anxiety worse.  I go with the flow of anxiety symptoms and with time my anxiety symptoms are less severe.  I have to go to work each day because I have a family to support.  It has not been easy.  I strongly believe that Cognitive Therapy is the best solution.   

I can only share my experience; I'm not a Doctor. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline edosmonsterink

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:58:22 PM »
Hello, I avoided all those side effects by taking 12.5mg(1/2 of a 25mg sertraline) for 2 weeks, then went up to 25mg and stayed there. It worked at a low dose for me, but I also started .5mg klonopin at night when I started the sertraline. I took sertraline for 2 yrs, and tapered off. Now I still remain on .5mg klonopin and am doing great. I had extreme anxiety, panic, gad, which led to a psychotic depression. I wish drs would let anxiety pts start the ssris at very low doses. We cant handle all that serotonin flooding our bodies. Good luck to u.

Thank you hikingchik63
ya i agree with you . i started kinda high and then straight to 50 mg of Sertraline.  I am still gonna give it the full 4 weeks. and decide from there if its for me or not. as for the .5 Clonazepam i will give it a go and hopefully it will help me through the start up phase of the Sertraline. I know I am exspecting a lot to happen in the short time that i have been on it. (only 19 days) so im going to try and stick it out. I just want to be my old self again....starting to lose hope that i ever will.

Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 11:22:24 PM »
also i did not understand what you ment in your response above. I am sorry if its clear but my mind is all messed up and i dont get it. lol

I meant that anxiety attacks sensitize you to having more so a big part of the battle is to reduce anxiety as much as possible, and especially panic attacks. So whatever negatives benzodiazepines have, they are outweighed by getting anxiety under control.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline edosmonsterink

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 01:03:53 AM »
You won't become dependent from taking one dose, or ten. You'd need to take a benzodiazepine daily for at least a month before dependence becomes an issue. Clonazepam has a long half life so you may not need to take it every day.

I have just another question and do appreciate it when you answer back Ian. Thank you.

What does    Clonazepam  has a long half life mean?   i hear this term "half life" 

Thank you

Eddie
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 02:25:54 AM »
What does    Clonazepam  has a long half life mean?   i hear this term "half life" 

'Half-life' is a measure of how long a drug remains active in the body. In the case of clonazepam, half the drug is metabolized and excreted after around 30-50 hours, after another 30-50 hours only a quarter of the drug is still in your system, etc. Xanax has a much shorter half-life with half the drug being metabolized and excreted in about 11-12 hours. So you need to take Xanax more often than clonazepam even though they both have about the same potency.

Ian
Bookmark and Share