Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Has anyone experienced increased depression or anxiety with Pneumonia  (Read 282 times)

Offline PhillyPhan

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello All:
I was wondering if anyone has had pneumonia before and if so did they experience an increase in depression and anxiety. I am diagnosed with depression with anxiety and I had a mild case of  "walking" pneumonia. I was hospitalized overnight on Wed, in which I received two rounds of antibiotics through IV. I know that anytime that I get an infection, such as upper respitory or sinus that I notice that my anxiety increases, but  my doc said this is normal in some people. I am being treated at home with Cipro (which I have taken before with no problems, since sometimes antibiotics in the class of Cipro can cause anxiety and depression) I noticed a big increase in my depression since I have gotten pneumonia. The day before I went in the hospital, i was running a fever of 101 and I had a huge panic attack that night. The fever has went away, and even though I feel better with less coughing and less congestion, I feel mental lousy. They say it stays in your system for a few weeks. If anyone has experienced this, please share. I was also wondering what was done to boost mood, besides raising dosages of medications. Thanks
Tom
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone experienced increased depression or anxiety with Pneumonia
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 06:00:07 AM »
I think this would be a common thing. Even with the normal flu we often hear of people with raised anxiety levels. Think about it for a moment. If it is effecting your breathing you may think of anxiety as well. Because there are times anxiety effects how we breathe. We would also feel horrible with such a sickness. When else would you feel as horrible? When you are depressed. I would guess you could link the symptoms of the illness with your regular symptoms of anxiety and depression. As they mimic each other. Thus your mind can get confused and may just pick it all up as anxiety and depression. Only a stronger version of it. Hope I am making sense to you. Bit like those who exercise. The heart beats faster because of the exercise. But they link a fast heart beat to anxiety. Thus anxiety kicks in worse. With your illness I would guess the same thing might be happening.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: