Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone deal with pancreatic cancer fears? Talk me down please!  (Read 493 times)

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone deal with pancreatic cancer fears? Talk me down please!
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:43:52 PM »
I'm 26 years old, healthy female...or so my Dr's think.

I've been having off and on upper left side abdominal pain since September. Sometimes it's a sharp quick spasm, other times it's a dull constant ache. It's very mild (but that doesn't keep me from thinking pancreatic cancer).

I know I'm young, and I've done the research and I've got about a 0.4% chance in getting pancreatic cancer under 34 years. But it still scares me. Since I started worrying about this a couple of days ago, I'm having flank pressure/pain, and I am freaking out.

I had an abdominal ultrasound done last week, requested by my physician because of a low platelet count, so he wanted to make sure my spleen wasn't enlarged. It's not (thank God), but when I looked at the ultrasound report, the radiologist said that everything was good in the head and body of the pancreas. I asked my doctor about why it didn't say anything about the tail of the pancreas, and he said that it's sometimes buried in the body and hard to see, and that they were focusing on the spleen, not the pancreas.

So now I'm afraid they've missed something. I also had a blood test done last week to check for inflammation in the body - c-reactive protein test - and from what I've read online, it can be elevated in people with cancer. Mine was completely normal, but I'm still worried.

Can someone talk me down right now?
Bookmark and Share

Online ceh1354

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone deal with pancreatic cancer fears? Talk me down please!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 07:37:27 PM »
Seems to me that your pain would not be on and off since September. And that's your only "symptom" you think you have? Why do you think it's PC just from that?
This is classic case of believing Dr Google over your own doctor. :-). In my opinion of course.

Stop Googling would be the first thing to do. It's really hard I know. A lot of damage has already been done, but you don't have to keep re enforcing it.

Even your blood test was normal!? You should not be worrying at this point. I wouldn't be. Could you possibly have some form of stomach irritation or gastritis that causes your intermittent pain?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 08:56:18 PM »
Well, you don't have pancreatic cancer. You stomach symptoms could very well be due to anxiety or smth much less serious than cancer or pancreatic cancer which is the worst one.

The problem here is that you are young, and you are afraid of disease that doesn't strike young people. Pancreatic cancer, colon cancer, stomach cancer are all the same in that regard.

Start seeing if you can therapist and work on your HA, because what will you do in 15, 20 or 30 years? You anxiety will only be higher as the years go by, 'cause those diseases will become more likely (though still rare). So, work on it while you are still young. You should enjoy these years, and not spend them in fear.

Take care
Bookmark and Share

Online ceh1354

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 09:09:17 PM »
SO TRUE, Hypo!! The older I get, it seems I have to work harder and harder to fight with the HA.
Oh, what I wouldn't give to be 29 again for so many reasons! LOL

Honestly do not think you have PC, no way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anxious247

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 09:27:49 PM »
I'm right there with you. Except I'm older, 39, but am absolutely terrified of PC. I don't know what helps but I'm pretty sure I know what doesn't:
Being unable to sleep because I'm Googling all night
Reading personal stories of PC
Running to different ERs hoping someone can calm me down.

Yeah, those aren't too helpful.
Oh... And I have all your same symptoms too...
Have you tried CBT in the past?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anna

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 08:30:17 AM »
The blood test has came back normal and nothing abnormal was detected on the ultrasound. I think it's safe to say that you don't have pancreatic cancer or cancer in general. I was gold by a few doctors that if you had cancer that the pain would be persistent as the tumour would be there all the time. I have read good reports on CBT and am going to try this myself. Maybe this is something that you can look into doing to help with your anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline HeatherJoy11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »
My friend has pancreatic cancer right now. We are actually going over to his house tonight for dinner. They discovered the cancer because within 2 months, he had lost close to 30 lbs without trying and he turned yellow from jaundice. Now, almost 6 months later, he has lost 60+ lbs. He had pain in the beginning but also the other symptoms. They found his cancer after doing a sonogram.

Tell yourself right now: I HAVE HEALTH ANXIETY and not pancreatic cancer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sad_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 04:45:50 PM »
I also have a MAJOR Pancreatic Cancer fear. It really started when I read "Tuesdays With Morrie" by Mitch Albom at the advice of my therapist back in summer 2012. In the book, Mitch talks about his uncle who died of PanCan in his 40's. Well, that, coupled with Patrick Swayze (who was like 57 or something), got me focused on Pancreatic Cancer, and then when you read how its almost 100% fatal, its become my #1 fear, especially as I'm in my 40's. I have a lot of upper abdominal/Right Upper Quadrant pain, not severe, but constant and nagging, and the only thing that helps it is a lot of Ibuprofen, and I've had a huge battery of tests and scans, including a CT back in July, an upper endoscopy, an ultrasound, and a colonoscopy, and nobody can tell me what's causing my pain. My fear of death and fear that the doctors have missed something, and the fact that they can't tell me the definite cause of my pain and fix it, has me always in a panic and constantly worried. I had also lost about 25 pounds in a month back in July and August after a kidney infection, but I have since gained almost 20 of it back. Common sense says its not PanCan, doctors tell me I shouldn't be worried about it at all, but I just wish I could take their advice....its not so easy. I just want this pain to go away so I could stop worrying about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 05:13:10 PM »
My uncle had pancreatic cancer and passed away at age 85. He lost weight quickly and
passed away 8 months after diagnosis.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: