Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Worried about Barrett's Esophagus  (Read 313 times)

Offline jmcewan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Worried about Barrett's Esophagus
« on: January 16, 2014, 12:40:48 PM »
I have been dealing with acid reflux for a while now (3 years about) and over last summer it got way worse to the point where my Doc suspected GERD and put me on 30MG of Lansoprazole. I have had limited success with it and lately I have been noticing on occasion my voice gets hoarse. I am worried that I might have Barrett's or the beginning of esophagus cancer (i know its rare; but if we were rational folks, we wouldnt be on this forum).

Does anyone know how common Barrett's is or how long it takes to develop? Insight would be great!
Bookmark and Share

Offline lovelovelovealways

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried about Barrett's Esophagus
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 02:38:02 PM »
I just had an endoscopy done after years of having acid reflux because of my pregnancies. Even after all that time without my acid reflux being treated, I did not have a barrets esophagus and my doctor said even if I did have it, its a small chance that it would even turn into esophageal cancer. My advice is to get the endoscopy! It will ease your fears.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SirWorriesAlot

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »
I had heartburn bad for 15 years, controlled now via Omeprizole.  I started hearing advertisements on the radio about Esophogeal Cancer related to GERD.  I went to a Gastro Dr. and had and Endoscopy done.  I actually showed a very small Barretts spot.  My Dr was not concerned at all, he said it was stable and there was only a very small chance that it would turn to cancer.  Even so, I am scheduled every three years for my Endo, Dr said as long as I keep this sched I will not have a problem.  Don't smoke, if you need to lose weight it helps to lose a few LBS and drink in moderation, that was his advise as well.   I would not worry at all but certainly check it out - good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hunniedeww24

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »
I have GERD, acid reflux and IBS.....go to a health food store and buy free dried multidolphlous in the fridge section....take 2 a day....itll take it all away.
Bookmark and Share
~The one big bummer about reality is.....there's no awesome background music~

Offline jmcewan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:36:38 PM »
Thanks everyone. Trying to control it through diet is becoming so taxing too. One place says eat a lot of raw veggies roasted because raw is harsher on digestion; but raw is better because cooked veggies are acidic. and
avoid citrus fruit except pinapple which aids digestion; but stay away from pinapple specifically. I even saw one site that suggested "eat like an italian" since GERD is so rare in that country and then went on to say avoid foods like pasta, acidic and fatty sauces and wine. And I'm just sitting here like; "I just dont want to be in pain and die"

oh and that taking PPIs and antacids appearently make GERD worse by causing the body to produce more acid.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: