Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Trip tomorrow - Advice  (Read 85 times)

Offline rubee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Trip tomorrow - Advice
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:46:44 AM »
Hi all, I have a big trip tomorrow, I'm going from my home in Wales to London via train and staying there overnight. I'm going to see friends and it will involve mingling with quite a lot of people. My main worry is having a panic attack (I've had them before, know what they're about etc) and also when I'm highly anxious I start to feel sick and I have a phobia of sickness. Does anyone have any tips to help me deal with feeling ill-anxious and how to not let it get to me and completely ruin my trip?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Trip tomorrow - Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 11:58:54 AM »
Hello Rubee...

Since your trip is literally right around the corner, I can think of a few things that might help.

First of all, don't forget to breath.  When I become aware of an increase in my anxiety, or feelings like I might be heading for a panic attack, I check on my breathing.  I often find myself breathing to slow and shallow, or I might be hyperventilating.  I focus on inhaling through my nose, and exhaling through my mouth at a slow, steady rate of 8-10 breaths per minute.  I often find that this technique of breathing helps immediately.

Another thing that you can do is that if you find your mind wandering off to a negative thought, replace with a positive one.

Other quick and simple things that you can do for your travels tomorrow include taking your own bed pillow with you.  And if you use dryer sheets/fabric softener, make sure your pillow cases have that fragrance.  And speaking of fragrances, many of our homes have their own scents, so you might take a favorite candle with you.  Take a book that you are currently reading, or some hobby that you are involved in.  My sister is enjoying a knitting project right now.  A tea that you enjoy might help.

If you have some "take as needed" medication for your anxiety, such as a medication in the benzodiazepine class, make certain you pack that.

And lastly, do try to stay in the moment, enjoying the destination/journey, as that is a major part of any trip.  Focus on the "now" experience, and do not project.

I hope that it's a wonderful trip for you, Rubee!  The very best to you!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: