Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: New to this Board... Fear of Lung Cancer.  (Read 166 times)

Offline lovelovelovealways

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New to this Board... Fear of Lung Cancer.
« on: January 16, 2014, 09:28:55 AM »
I am a wife and a mother to three children. On the outside, I appear to be this fun, loving, and vibrant person... But on the inside, I am constantly in depression over health issues. Only a few of my close friends and family know of my struggle.

I found this website and it was soo relieving to hear there are other people like me in this world!

Here is my most recent struggle with a health anxiety.

The last week of October, I started having chest pain, back pain, and a burning sensation in my stomach. Of course I think the worse, I convinced myself I had either pancreatic, stomach, or esophageal cancer. My doctor referred me to a gastroenterologist and he did an endoscopy and an internal ultrasound of my gallbladder, pancreas, and bile duck. The results were gastritis and GERD.

He placed me on a PPI 2x a day for the next two months in hopes my symptoms will subside.

Most of my symptoms have subsided, aside from the back pain. It comes and goes throughout the day and usually subsides at night. Its not sharp, but rather a dull ache.

Of course I google my symptoms and low and behold,  I read upper back pain came up to be a symptom on lung cancer. My husband thought I was crazy, especially since I had a chest clear chest XRAY at the end of October. But I remember hearing on the news that chest XRAYS are not as accurate as CT's for diagnosing lung cancer, therefore, I could not rule it out.

My doctor however believed it was more of a muscularskelatal issue and wanted to rule out other possibilities before heading down the lung caner path, especially with a clear XRAY.

He ordered a XRAY of my upper back and if the pain does not go away in a month, he will order a MRI. (Back xray was clear).

My pain has not gotten much worse, but its definitely not gone in the last two weeks since the XRAY... So in the meantime, I have been playing Dr. Google and the lung cancer thing keeps coming up.

My husband thinks I am totally being unreasonable for worrying so much about possibly having lung cancer, but I feel its totally a possibility.

Is he right? Or do I have a legitimate reason for concern? Thank you to all those who provide feedback. I appreciate it! Sooo sooo much!

Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New to this Board... Fear of Lung Cancer.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 02:34:13 PM »
The problem with health anxiety is that it does not differentiate between what is possible from what is probable.

Sure it's possible you have lung cancer, but how probable is it after your doctor has ruled it out?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mhmommy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New to this Board... Fear of Lung Cancer.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »
I think ur good ur risk factors are good.
I have same fear but have risk factors/radiation.
am a mom of 3 going to dr today.  please think good thoughts
and I will you too. am afraid my radiation too high & I have lc or
leukemia.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: