Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Worry about solipsism  (Read 179 times)

Offline flamedguy02

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Worry about solipsism
« on: January 15, 2014, 11:57:29 PM »
Hey everybody,

I'm currently a university student and on a short break before the start of my co-op term. I haven't been doing much since most of my buddies are back at school and I recently watched the movie the Matrix and I was totally weirded out by it afterwards. I began to research into the matter, and came upon the term solipsism. Ever since I was little I've been a worrier. I've self diagnosed myself with anxiety due to the fact that I always overworry about the stupidest things. However, these worries usually go away. I also believe I have derealization as well. Ever since reading the term I've felt weirded out and started really questioning life. I'm hoping you guys could give me tips on overcoming this worry.

PS: My heart doesn't believe in this solipsism nonsense, but my brain keeps telling me otherwise. Wish I could just shut my brain off!

Thanks guys!
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worry about solipsism
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 02:27:40 AM »
So you're worried about a philosophical approach to existence? What's to worry about here?
Bookmark and Share

Offline scb07d

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worry about solipsism
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:33:01 AM »
Seems like derealization. When you have heavy feelings of anxiety where you're questioning existence, etc and everything feels very scary... that's usually what people call it. Like, if you go watch some new age, existential stuff on YouTube I wonder if it would trigger it too. Not that I'm encouraging this, but that's kind of how it works. I'm not sure if you've experienced high levels of derealization before (like so-called ego-death for example) but it's fairly common I think. Just something to be aware of since it's extremely uncomfortable.

Here's what I think... derealization results from cognitive avoidance. It's dissociation. A person attempts to question every aspect of reality in order to find an "answer" to their anxiety. They seek some kind of understanding that will allow them to feel better. The trick lies in realizing that this kind of cognitive "digging" doesn't really go anywhere. There is no "answer" to your anxiety... especially not in your own head.

The more you try to go away from anxiety the more your brain will increase the alarm in your head and you'll feel more uncomfortable.

Basically, I think most of this philosophical stuff is garbage... it's a form of cognitive avoidance. If you're sitting around questioning whether our universe is a virtual reality construct created by some kind of hyper-dimensional self-aware singularity :spineyes: you're cleverly avoiding thinking about real, physical issues in life... and that's the whole point.  ::)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: