Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Plane anxiety  (Read 514 times)

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Plane anxiety
« on: January 15, 2014, 10:49:58 PM »
I've never been afraid to fly. I'm usually a little nervous but I don't panic or anything. Im flying on friday. After a stressful anxious week I had a panic attack Tuesdays and another just ten minutes ago. I felt like I wouldn't be able to get on the plane without freaking out. I'm calmer now but worried about another attack before flying. I want to go on my vacation and enjoy myself. I'm going to try to get acute meds from doc before I go. Any suggestions on helping me get on plane?
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Plane anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 02:23:23 AM »
Are you scared of the plane or more scared of having a panic attack on the plane where you can't escape? That's called agoraphobia and the only cure is letting the panic attack happen while realizing it's anxiety at the root.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:32:34 AM »
It's a mixture of having a panic attack on the plane and also it ruining my vacation. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mubski82

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:31:09 AM »
I too have a similar fear of planes and all other forms of transport eg trains, buses boats etc.  I used to fly on planes all the time and now i am afraid of having a panic attack on a plane or waiting to get on the plane or while sitting on the plane waiting.  This is the same with trains, boats etc.  I am worried about not being able to get off and feel grounded/safe.  I have xanax but have not tried it on a plane yet as i am still to worried about freaking out prior or during the event. 

Agarophbia was mentioned and am wondering if that could be what i have or a part of what my phobia is and if so how can i go about recitfying the issue in some way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline i960

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:38:17 PM »
Pretty much about 99% of all anxiety/panic sufferers have agoraphobia at some level. The problem is when one continually avoids situations the agoraphobia is allowed to persist. About the only real way to get past some of this stuff is to literally sit through a panic attack and manage it. This reinforces to the brain that panic attacks will not kill you.

Basically, exposure therapy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 09:54:32 PM »
You basically described me at the start of December. I'd flown many many times before but this time.. a week before my flight I was suffering from NON-STOP panic attacks, bawling my eyes out, couldn't sleep. And then my flight came, 1 stop so 2 different flights in 1 day and everything went fine! I watched TV and I had in-flight wifi so I was imessaging my boyfriend on the ground! Now looking back I feel silly for spending the entire week in such a state of fear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mubski82

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »
@kristinsaxiety I understand what you are saying and that is the thing that is holing me back from doing everything is the fears of the what if?  And as a result the avoidance of everything.  I need to just try it and realise that everything will be ok.  But i have become unable to even try things cos of the fears.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jumbelly

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 11:05:19 PM »
Talk to you doctor, get a Xanax prescription. Any get an aisle seat. This ain't your doctor's first rodeo, nor is this the first time the flight crew has encountered this. If you need the Crew's s assistance getting an aisle seat, ask them for help. I bet there are at least 3 people immediately close to you on the plane that have the same problem (hint: they are in an aisle set.) They will help you by talking to you,I promise!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Laura48310

• Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 12:12:50 PM »
I'd try getting some xanx its makes me sleepy maybe it would help you feel calm and fall asleep for the ride.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PrinceOfWorry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »
Flying tomorrow. Seattle to Santiago in the Dominican Republic.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: