Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Very high blood pressure today  (Read 620 times)

Offline jenity

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Very high blood pressure today
« on: January 15, 2014, 10:44:51 PM »
I felt like my panic has been under control but today I went to the doctor for an ear infection. They measured my BP and it was 124/94 ....the 94 really freaked me out since it's entering pre-hypertension....then I went  to the pharmacy to get my antibiotics for the infection and went home and measured my BP again... It was 153/111 and it wouldn't go down.  My heart rate is always in the 80s, this time it was 132. Nothing too stressful really happened that day. I didn't even feel like I was having a panic attack. I got so worried I went back to the clinic.  Like all my other visits- they gave me a physical exam and said taking my family history and age into consideration, I shouldn't be worried and high blood pressure doesn't have immediate effect on the body. (I've had normal EKGs and Echo done in the past )
Has this happened to anybody? You don't feel that stressed but your BP is super high?
The doctor did suggest to get a Holter monitor.
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Very high blood pressure today
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:14:49 AM »
Except in RARE cases, high blood pressure is a danger over time - not the immediate short term.  In those rare cases where it is an immediate danger, it far exceeds the readings you've stated.  It goes up and it goes down.  Stress and anxiety can make it go up so if you happened to catch it at a sort of high point then let your anxiety kick in, that would explain why it remained high.  As would having a cold, allergies, and a whole host of other things.  I suggest not taking it for a week or 2 then seeing where the number is but above all, if the docs aren't worried about it neither should you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AOKAY

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: Very high blood pressure today
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 12:19:51 PM »
Sounds like you have an extreme case of white coat syndrome; just like me.  All I need to do is think about getting my blood pressure taken and my BP goes up.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: