Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Starting Viibryd Tomorrow  (Read 186 times)

Offline Andrew90

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Starting Viibryd Tomorrow
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:43:31 PM »
Greetings,

So today I had a visit to my pdoc, and it was decided that I would discontinue my treatment with Remeron (stepping off from 15 mg as of tonight) and start up with 10 mg Viibryd. Anyone have any experiences or opinions about this drug for treating GAD/panic? I chose this SSRI because it is the least likely to induce sexual dysfunction. My most up to date medication regimen for my anxiety will now be 10 mg Viibryd, 4 mg daily Guanfacine (2 mg twice a day), and 1 mg Klonopin (0.5 mg twice a day). I'm looking forward to trying this medication....I need something extra beyond the benzo for my anxiety, mainly my hypochondria and my everyday hyperviligant awareness of how I feel at any given time.

I know that Viibryd is not yet approved for GAD or Panic Disorder, but my pdoc said that in a couple of years the drug manufacturer will likely try to extend its patent by adding new approved indications. GAD would likely be one of these, as this medication is an SSRI and also has a combined mechanism of action similar to Buspar.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 87
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Starting Viibryd Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »
I chose this SSRI because it is the least likely to induce sexual dysfunction.

So they claim. Adding Buspar to any SSRI would achieve the same result.

The only thing to be aware of is that Viibryd is more likely to trigger diarrhea and stomach issues initially than other SSRIs, so take it strictly with meals. If diarrhea does become an issue try taking it in the morning to reduce the need to go to the bathroom at night. It also seems to be a slow starter so don't expect quick results.

I know that Viibryd is not yet approved for GAD or Panic Disorder, but my pdoc said that in a couple of years the drug manufacturer will likely try to extend its patent by adding new approved indications.

You can't extend a drug patent merely by finding new uses for it. There needs to be a change in the active chemistry. I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of approval from GAD and Panic Disorder. Doing the studies required by the FDA costs a lot of money and with most doctors prescribing off-label anyway there often isn't a business case for expanding the indications.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »
I take 10 mg of viibryd.  Really helpful for depression and better than Zoloft. However I found it did little for my anxiety, but a higher dose may be more helpful. I lowered it because I had weird side effects with my eyes blurring. I was fine at the lower dose. Edit: besides the eye thing, dry mouth. I mean dry mouth.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Andrew90

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 05:06:16 PM »
Glad to hear that it works for you. I have yet to start taking it, a bit apprehensive quite frankly. I know I shouldn't read up all over online forums about people's experiences with this drug, or any drug for that matter, because they are overwhelmingly negative. Far less people post about their positive experiences on the internet. I am, however, also gauging how I feel without an antidepressant. So far, so good.

Since stopping the Remeron, I haven't had any discontinuation symptoms (knock on wood). It's been about a week since I tapered from 30 mg to 15 mg, and about 3 days since I went off of it entirely. It probably takes about a week for any discontinuation symptoms to ensue, however I've tapered down several times over the past 2 weeks and I haven't felt anything. I'm thinking the Klonopin is doing me more good than I realize.

I am going to pick up the medication tonight from my pharmacy though, and if I start feeling icky, I'll take the Viibryd.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: