Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Annoying muscle twitching  (Read 237 times)

Offline Baseball1221

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Annoying muscle twitching
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:23:47 PM »
Im 16 male ive posted here before with fears of brain tumor. I do not fear brain tumor anymore as my headaches have really subsided. I get them occasionally, pressure headache at my one temple that lasts maybe 10 seconds to a few minutes? Anyway, my headaches are not a concern for me right now.
What is a concern however, are these annoying muscle twitches that I get all over my body. I am an athlete but this winter i am not doing much as it it my first year not playing hockey. I dont know if anxiety can be causing these twitches because i am not anxious of brain tumor anymore (doctor said shes 100% i dont have a brain tumor after a big physical exam) they happen probably 25+ times per day at random. They dont hurt, and are sometimes visible if they last more than a few seconds. Sometimes big, sometimes small ones that come in 5-10's. Anyone have any idea what it could be...?
(I forgot to mention these to the doctor)
And also, they happen anywhere. Have never had it in more common spots such as thumb and eye lid. Usually arms, legs and side of my body by my rib cage. Sometimes when i am laying on my leg, it follows my heartbeat pattern.

Thanks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jade1

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Annoying muscle twitching
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 10:23:23 PM »
Hi!! I ve been having muscle twitching all over for more than a year and a half now. It can happen anywhere..hands, feet, calves, face, etc. Its really annoying...but I've seen many doctors and did many tests, apparently it s nothing dangerous...!
Try not to worry, I know that for a lot of people, as they start stressing less, the twitching disappears.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dmcrae22

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 10:43:49 PM »
My doctors have told me that the twitching is a result of anxiety. I had the same question that why is it still happening once I'm over the thing I was anxious about. As one doctor put it, turning off anxiety is not like turning off a car. It takes time. If you were anxious about a test for one day and after you took the test everything was good, your body can recover from that very quickly. But he said when your anxious about something for days or weeks, it takes your body much longer to return to "normal". My twitching started last April and while it's decreased a lot, I still twitch every now and then which is probably just normal. Try to relax and just accept the twitching and not raise your anxiety with every twitch as that just feeds it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Baseball1221

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 07:35:22 PM »
Hopefully that's all it is!
I am starting to get localized twitching in my left leg just to the upper left of the knee, and side of thigh muscle.
It is more intense than ever! It is like a machine gun, really fast, and i will sometimes just be standing there, and all of a sudden it happens! It lasts way longer than it used to, too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 07:49:06 PM »
I've had the same exact thing "muscle fasciculations" aka "twitches" for over 18 years.  Some people are just more prone to them, and I get them on the bottoms of my feet, the calves, the neck, and pretty much anywhere there is a muscle.  It's just the small muscle fibers firing off extra energy.   Also, if you've had them this long, you are fine.   :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline Baseball1221

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 11:38:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Yes, should be alright. I just found a new trigger to them tonight, which is jumping. I jumped up and down a few times, and right after, they start like popcorn and last a minute or two.
So weird!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 06:09:22 AM »
It's called benign fasciculation syndrom and it's caused by anxiety. You are completely fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chasingdogma

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • How I Choose to Feel is How I Am
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 03:52:38 PM »
Unless you have physical weakness (i.e. you cannot lift your foot, arm, finger ect), you have nothing to worry about. BFS is very common, even more so in athletes and high energy people. You would be surprised how many doctors have BFS. I had it for two months straight... all over my body but mostly in my left legs and feet. Give yourself time, it will go away.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Baseball1221

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 09:51:38 PM »
Alright thanks ^
Dumb me went to google again to find a connection between that and athletics and of course i had to see the ALS connection.
Well, it is a worry a little bit. I was wondering what is classified as muscle weakness, as the area the twitching happens the most feels a little heavy. But i can lift my leg and everything perfectly normal, and i had my strength tested about 2 weeks ago at the doctor. She said im 100%, so I'm guessing this is a very common and harmless condition.
Thanks again everyone.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: