Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Life just feels weird!  (Read 268 times)

Offline SummerSun41

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Life just feels weird!
« on: January 15, 2014, 08:53:55 PM »
I'm not sure how to explain what I've been going through recently. I suppose it's derealixation, but I'm not exactly sure. The symptoms I'm having are a feeling of unfamiliarity (if that's even a word)- for example, I've lived in the same house all of my 22 years of life. I'm comfortable in my house, but I feel particularly strange and weird when I'm driving home from work in the evenings. Nothing seems familiar to me. It's so weird and scary. I also get this feeling randomly when I'm thinking about it. I think "Oh this is soooo weird! Why am I here!" It's also triggered by certain lighting- lots of dimly lit places or yellow lights give me this sensation.

I also have this other weird thing going on: I don't really feel anything when I read inspirational stuff. BUT- here's the thing- I've never really been affected by that kind of thing. I guess since anxiety makes me question everything, it kind of dawned on me that these things don't affect me. But I worry that maybe they should! Shouldn't I feel something when I read bible verses and inspirational quotes? Maybe not all of them, but I don't really know anymore. I should make it clear that I don't have any problem feeling emotions. Heck, I cried like a baby at the end of the movie "Lone Survivor" last weekend and get misty eyes when I read or watch truly touching stories.

I just want to know if anyone else has experienced derealization in the way that I have, and if so, what did you do or what made it go away? How can I stop obsessing about it and questioning my surroundings all the time?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Life just feels weird!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:54:57 AM »
Derealization is one of those things there is no magic cure for. In time it will just up and vanish. Not sure if we just get used to it and thus it is not a fear any more to us. I used to have it years ago. I could even out and come back home and have no memory of ever been out. Can be a bit frightening at times. At best try and distract yourself to bring yourself back to earth. I used to get it more if a room was quiet and suddenly the room became loud. That sudden change. Or loud and then quiet. But it was simply like I out grew it. Stopped worrying about it. And it was then gone.

As for not feeling anything when reading. I wouldn't put too much thought into that at all. I read lots. To me they are just words. Be different if I was reading a book that was meant to inspire me to feel better. One that was written to make a person with anxiety feel good about themselves. But then I would think I am not doing something right. Bit like CBT in a way. It works well for some. Doesn't work at all for others. Works for those who use it the right way and believe in what they are doing. There are times we just read things and that is that. We don't gain anything for it at all. That does not mean there is anything wrong with you. I am sure in time you might find a good book that inspires you.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: