Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: 18 year old colon/bowel cancer hypochondriac  (Read 282 times)

Offline Loki

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
18 year old colon/bowel cancer hypochondriac
« on: January 15, 2014, 07:27:07 PM »
Hi, my name is Steph and I turned 18 just last month.

Around August of 2013 a neighbor of mine was diagnosed with colon cancer (or that's what her doctor said it could be) and ever since then I've been terrified of developing that type of cancer. There is also no immediate history of colon cancer in my family, so I'm fairly sure it's all in my head. I can't say I've had a drastic change in my stool apart from I've been going a lot more frequent than I used too - (From about twice a week to sometimes 2-3 times a day). Although I have read that it could be 'anxiety stomach', sensitive stomach or IBS (which I'm not sure of because I don't have any pain). There is no blood and I have no stomach pains, although occasionally I get random bouts of loose stool and harder stool, but I find myself constantly checking the toilet and turning to Google every time I use the bathroom. (Which is possibly the worst thing I could do).

It's just gotten to the point where I've had to leave college due to my fears and I've found myself barely leaving the house.
(I have been diagnosed with GAD, social anxiety and mild depression)
And I don't want to let my anxiety and fears affect my life anymore than it already has..

I also attend a CBT session once a week but I don't feel as though it has helped me and my doctor says there is nothing more she can do for me.

If anyone could help me by explaining the exact symptoms of bowel/colon cancer to me I'm sure it would put my mind at rest.
Thank you so much to anyone that helps!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: 18 year old colon/bowel cancer hypochondriac
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 07:37:40 PM »
Last year, i had a polyp removed. I was 22. I had bleeding every day. It sounds to me like anxiety. When I am super stressed, my stools are always soft. I have different stools all the time. It depends in what you eat. If you started having diahrrea that was more than once a day every day or constipation that is not normal for you, then you could speak to the doctor. Not because of colon cancer but because many many many things cause changes in stool.
Bookmark and Share