Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: beta blockers for anxiety  (Read 397 times)

Offline perc19

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
beta blockers for anxiety
« on: January 15, 2014, 01:49:49 PM »
Hoping someone can help

I have had brain tumour or serious brain health concerns since end of august and it is driving me insane. I have had stabbing pains on right side, tension/pressure headaches all over, head zap things, nausea and now almost like a headrush buzzy, fuzzy feeling when I then felt dizzy and yucky. I have been to see now 5 different doctors, had acupuncture, tried amitryptine, not had an MRI or anything, blood pressure is fine, heart is fine all of them have said it is anxiety!!!!!!!!! Do I stillk believe them not sure? Why do I get this awful feeling in my head???

Anyway now been given beta blockers to take one a day for 2 weeks, go back and start CBT therapy.

Now really scared about beta blockers? Will they work or am I going to feel even worse with more problems???? Who knows, took 1st one lst night, rubbish nights sleep, not sure how I felt.

Anyone else had a positive experience with beta blockers?? Will it stop my 'anxiety' symptoms????
Bookmark and Share

Offline Theresa73

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: beta blockers for anxiety
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 02:10:30 PM »
I have been there. I was getting headaches and chest discomfort. Saw my dr and she said it was my health anxiety and put me on proranolol. I tried it, but was scared. I ended up going off as I didn't feel it was doing anything. I was doing better on anti depressants, so may try those again. Did you talk to dr about that option?
Theresa
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 04:14:22 PM »
I am 57 and have been on Propranolol LA 60 and now 80mg since I was 50 and
it has helped me greatly and have have no side effects.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 07:21:05 AM »
Hi,

I am taking 40mg of propranolol, took one last night and the night before, but I am laying awake in the night worrying about other symptoms I may get with them! My heart rate is slower and I do feel a little less worried, but then worry that the more days I have take them the more chance there is of a side effect!!!!!!!! Can't seem to win or be happpy with anything!!

Any other people taken them for anxiety or head feelings, the doctor is adamant that they will stop my physical symptoms of dizziness and head feelins/pain/sensations.

Not sure

Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:44:17 AM »
I take propranolol occasionally for mitral valve prolapse and when I get specific anxiety symptoms: chest pressure, pounding heartbeat. It's sometimes takes a little time to know when it would be helpful to use (unless you were prescribed to take in on a scheduled rather than as-needed basis)

It's a helpful little tool, but one I don't use all that often. No negative side effects for me unless I haven't eaten enough prior to taking it then it can make me feel very tired and a little low. Again, I make sure I eat properly and I don't have a problem. Doesn't do a think for muscle tension/mental type symptoms though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jwall378

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:13:11 AM »
Hi Perc19.....I was getting almost the exact same symptoms for a while. I saw my doctor, neurologist, cardiologist. All of the tests and MRI's were negative. My doc put me on a low dose of a beta blocker (Propranolol) 10mg twice a day. She also gave me a low dose of Xanax (0.25mg) as needed no more than two a day for those bad days. The beta blocker helps calm down the adrenaline feeling of anxiety. The symptoms started going away on their own. I also see a therapist twice a month. Good luck!!
Bookmark and Share
The more we think about things, the worse they get.

"Don't worry, about a thing. 'Cause every little thing's gonna be alright"-Bob Marley

Offline Quetzal828

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 10:48:40 AM »
What you're describing with the headrush/buzzy feeling sounds like an adrenaline rush, which is pretty common for those with anxiety and panic attacks. I used to get those all the time, particularly when performing with an orchestra onstage, and found it very unsettling. I've been on 60 mg extended release propranolol for quite some time now, and it's worked wonders. It totally gets rid of adrenaline rushes, heart palpitations, shakiness and other physical symptoms of anxiety. And I haven't experienced any side effects at all. For me, beta blockers have been a lifesaver.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AOKAY

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 12:15:47 PM »
I have a prescription for 20mg propranolol for use when I give presentations.  I know this is an "off-label" use for a beta-blocker, but it works wonders for stage fright.  Xanax can leave you groggy.  But no such side effect with propranolol, which will prevent that rush of adrenaline that can lead to panic and ruin your experience. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline perc19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 03:16:19 AM »
Hi

Thanks for all your replys, it helps to hear others experiences of these things. I have taken it for 4 days now but felt really crap in the hour it was due yesterday, how long do they take to kick in?

Still getting the short head pains in same spot, but the dizziness and headrush may have eased a little.

Why can't I get out of this anxiety circle?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: